• Creator
    Topic

Luke Nelson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Southern Image
    Engines: QSC 8.3 540hp

Hi All,
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get the hours changed on a cm850 ECU? I have just put on a 2nd hand one to replace a broken one. It currently shows 9999 hours on Smartcraft .. Cummins say they cant make the hours the same as they were on the previous ecu.

Google says its possible with Calterm?

thanks Luke

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Luke Nelson
    Participant

I found a way. Not the right way..
    Data link-program. I even found a way to turn of the broken Wif sensor on the old ecm I replaced. So deep down I could have not bought a 2nd hand ecm and paid Cummins to recalibrate it. I would have been 1 k better off this way at the beginning.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You can always use trip hours to track time–just don’t reset it.. It may give you another 9999 to work with ..

Luke Nelson
    Participant

Thanks Tony,
    I will dig until I find a way.

Tony Athens

No I do not.. Figure it out a “teach us”.. You are not the only one frustrated with that..

Luke Nelson
    Participant

Thanks Tony,
    I remember seeing on one of the posts they stopped at 9999. The upgrade is on the list but the current has not died yet.
    I found a setting in the insight download sheet that came with the ecm with engine hour offset? Do you know anything about this?

cheers Luke

Tony Athens

Early Mercury SmartCrap

None of the early Mercury Crap displays could ever go over 9999 hours. Remember, Mercury outboards could never reach that milestone anyway so why add the 5th digit. When Cummins went with Mercury way back when, they were asleep on that one. We all leave room for improvement..

Dump the SmartCrap system and convert over to the ECM’s parent language, SAE J1939– then the ECM will show its true hours, what ever they might be, plus the would on what that ECM can display on NEMA 2000 with amaze you.

And yes, your cannot reprogram the ECM…. It will read what was on it from Day One……….. Obviously it was over 10,000 hours so your SmartCrap display cannot read that

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.