• Creator
    Topic

Richard Dodson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SWAY
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 480

As part of rebuilding one of my 480s after an exhaust valve seat failure, I had planned on having the ECU updated to incorporate the light load stumble update. In speaking with the Cummins folks I asked if it would be possible to code the ECU to a slightly lower horsepower output. He wasnā€™t completely sure, but thought it might be possible. Does anyone (Tony) have any information that this is possible and would it help de-tune the 480 so we can keep the valve seats where they are supposed to be?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Richard Dodson
    Participant

re-cal

Cummins in MA was kind enough to send the cal harness that fits the ECM to my local Cummins dealer. They updated to the latest update. We’ve been back in the water, after rebuilding one engine and swapping the head on the other. No idle stumble/shutdown and the idle seems smoother than it used to be. Update the ECMs was good advice.

28Cuttyhunk
    Participant
    Engines: 6BT-220 QSB-5.9

ECU Re-configuration

Cummins Northeast in Dedham Massachusetts can re-calibrate the ECUs off engine. about $300 per.

Richard Dodson
    Participant

Stumble issue

Upon further review…..Decided to forget seeing if the ECU could be updated to reduce the HP, but having experienced the un-commanded shutdown, decided to have the ECUs updated which would incorporate the anti-stumble. The ECM code on mine is Y90002.02, one of the initial ones. After speaking to the Cummins guys, I removed the ECUs and took them to the local shop. After looking, they said that they do not have the bench CAL harness to update these ECUs. Further they could not locate one in the Cummins system. Unless one exists and I can locate where, the only avenue is to have them update the ECUs while they are installed in the boat. Looking at paying mileage and everything else, it may approach $2,000.00. Any info on this would be appreciated.

JJM
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 480 CE

I would also recommend as I am doing from the same failure to install some EGT gauges at the dash. They will tell you the real story of whats happening down there from the load.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Only one “REAL” answer. that is guaranteed to make it right.. ……………Prop down to where the engine loads at or below the “450 curve” at 2100-2200 RPM.. Do that, and then, all the rest will take care of itself..
    If you want to listen to some other way to solve your issue, all I can say is, good luck..

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.