• Creator
    Topic

Robert Vetrano
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Knot Flying
    Engines: qsb 5.9

Can a Cummins ETS binnacle setup be swapped out/added to a boat that currently has separate electronic shifters/mechanical throttle controls?  The separate shift/throttle is on the 07 Meridian 391, but in 08 they switched to the ETS binnacle on the same motors.

Id consider doing this to add the sync feature on the ETS, and removing the shifters currently there would free up some space at the helm for some electronics.

Thank you!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

When you're ready…

No sweat… the conversions are straight forward in most cases but you will have to sort out the details when the time comes… thanks

Robert Vetrano
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Knot Flying
    Engines: qsb 5.9

Thanks for the reply.  I don’t have this boat yet.  Still shopping, but this is part of my prepurchase research.  The difference is between 07 and 08.  The 08 Meridian 391s already have the ETS binnacle, and Im just trying to determine beforehand if it is worth spending the extra cash on an 08 when the only big differences are this system, and some interior material changes.  As the 07s are much less $$ it may just make sense to get the 07 and do this mod later.

That being said, I believe the trans are electronic shift while the throttles are manual.  Im not sure if those throttles are actually “manual” or they have just a cable that attaches to a potentiometer?  Really not sure as to the answers to the rest of the questions as of yet.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Glendinning Controls

Robert, you should be able to switch to electronic controls no problem… I would probably recommend a Glendinning system (which happens to be what you attached as a picture)… a few questions first:

1. Which transmissions do you currently have on the engines? Are they currently mechanically shifted?
    2. Do you have trolling valves on the gears?
    3. Is everything 12V?
    4. Do the engines currently have throttle pots for throttle control input?
    5. Are you wanting to go completely fly-by-wire?
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.