• Creator
    Topic

Harry Alverio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Salty
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 370

Hi to all and Happy New year!!
    I found that my alternator for my cummins motor is overcharging past 14volts. This causes the alternator field 15 amps fuse to blow, and then the alternator stop charging. Is the alt voltage regulator damaged?any suggestion?
    Thanks

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Harry Alverio
    Participant

Thanks to all for help. Indeed the voltage regulator is giving problems. Bought new voltage regulator planning on installing next week. Will keep u posted

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Charles regulators

I have the Charles double regulator also.mine was charging a little high also so I called them about it.there is a way to change the settings to align with the type of batteries you have .gel cell agm whatever.if you change battery type these need to be adjusted.easy to do .

David Shaffer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Orion
    Engines: 6BTA 330

The CHARLES pictured is indeed a voltage regulator. Inside the box there are two regulators. You might try switching the wiring to see if the problem moves to the other engine. I know that Charles no longer makes that double regulator but if you find that that is the problem call them as I have found them easy to work with and they can probably repair it.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Basically, your AC powered battery charger, “CHARLES”, has nothing to do with your engines alternator……. Is your boat “generator dependent” for proper/safe operation?

Sounds to me that you need to learn your vessels DC POWER DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM.. Do you have an accurate schematic of what you have?

And then, post exactly what the issues are and what you are trying to sort out..

Tony

Harry Alverio
    Participant

Hi , tooked the alternators and their ok . I have a charles next gen voltage regulator that is seperate from the alternator. How i can change so that the voltage is integrate with the alternator.

Nestor
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA5.9

Mine 5.9’s have separate regulators between both engines. In addition to follow recommendation above might want to check if your regulators are separated. Included a picture of them for reference only.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Really hard to tell but the easiest thing to do is to pull the alternator off of the engine and take it to your local alternator repair shop and have them test it… they should easily be able to tell you whats going on and possibly even repair it!

Easy peezy!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.