• Creator
    Topic

sam cutajar
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Jafetica
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2 315Hp

Hello guys I am rely hoping for someone to shed some light on this issue. I am in the process of rebuilding my cummins 6bta 5.9 M2 engines and since I need to get the correct parts I would like to ask the difference in CPL 1613 and CPL 1928. Would I be correct in understanding that CPL 1613 is referring to an engine with 250 Hp while CPL 1928 is referring to 315 Hp? My engines were uprated from 250 Hp to 315 Hp by changing the injectors and re-calibrating the pumps and I was told by cummins that my engines now fall under CPL 1928. The reason I am doing the rebuilding is because one of my engines broke an exhaust valve and therefore have to also replace the piston and the valves of this particular engine. My other question would be is the cylinder head complete with valves the same for CPL 1613 and CPL 1928? Please excuse me if I am mixing up things but I am not a mechanic and would like to understand better my engines as when I left it in the hands of some mechanics they made a mess at my expense. Thank you for your help and assistance.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

If the parts are available, we’ll get it sorted out. If you have sleeve damage,Ā  you maybe be looking at a complete genuine Cummins long block..

sam cutajar
    Participant

Tony one question about the parts. If I need to replace any pistons valves or injectors how do I find the correct and recent part numbers for the 315 Hp so I am sure to order the correct parts. I cannot trust anyone locally as I have been bitten to many times and suffering the consequences. Thank you

Tony Athens

All sound good as to your CPL mods.. I was just curious “who”.. As to differences–at this point it does not matter–Just be sure you reach an honest and accurate 2900+ RPM when the vessel is loaded for bear..

Sleeves vs. boring—-Heat dissipation and the issue with a sleeve not staying where is supposed to be.

sam cutajar
    Participant

Tony it was Cummins enginers that had come out from the US to supervise the work. They did this as the boat when boat was still under warranty and its performance as regards getting on the plan was impossible. So they decided to uprate the engines Hp from 250 to 315. Apart from the injector nozzles and the re calibration of the pump hey had also changed the trim tubs by making them bigger, changed the turbo to HX35M and also the propellers from 19 x 20 to 19 x 19. After this work they stated that the engines now fall under CPL 1928. I have no idea what difference there is between CPL 1613 and CPL 1928. My engine nos are 45329097Ā  45328885.

<b>One of my engines broke an exhaust valve and slightly bent a push rod on cylinder no 3 so I have to replace the needed parts and want to make sure that I get the correct parts as I do not want to replace parts that would change in any way the performance of the engine. As regards your comment on sleeving, the engines have been sleeved way back in 2002 and the sleeving size was done using standard size sleeves. Why are you against sleeving?Ā  Ā </b>

Tony Athens

1——–Exactly who did this work?

“My engines were uprated from 250 Hp to 315 Hp by changing the injectors and re-calibrating the pumps and I was told by Cummins that my engines now fall under CPL 1928”

2——–These days, if you buy a complete RECON or NX cylinder head from Cummins they would be the same for a CPL 1322, 970,1613, & 1928.Ā  Same for the pistons, cam, etc–

If you buy a complete long block fromĀ  Cummins, it’s the same for all these CPL’s

Not sure as to how you plan to rebuild, but proper boring .25 or .50 MM oversize is a better way to go than sleeving / using the right over-sized piston

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.