• Creator
    Topic

james
    Participant

I’ve noticed that I never have coolant in the recovery bottles. Could this be a sign that I need to new caps, that something isn’t operating correctly? The recovery bottles are mounted on a bulkhead at least 1.5 feet higher than the main coolant tank, and they are 4 feet away from the tank. Perhaps the hose is performing the function of the recovery bottle?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

james
    Participant

Now I'm going to ask a very silly question.

I’m a bit embarrassed, as I’ve already with my own hands pulled off and replaced aftercoolers and Turbo’s and exhaust elbows…

Should I be adding coolant in the recovery bottle, or into the main tank on the engine???

Thanks

The recovery bottles became very difficult to access when cockpit airconditioning was added to the boat (Previous owner), a duct runs directly above the recovery bottle which makes access a pickle even with a funnel.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Got a pic of the recovery bottles? Effort should be made to reposition them so they can be used. Even if filling requires a tube on a funnel or such…

james
    Participant

No add to recovery bottles

I don’t add to the recovery bottle, it is virtually impossible to get fluid into it where it is positioned. I do add directly to the tank, and have not noted any disappearing. I recently had to add more because we lowered coolant levels to take Turbo’s off, of course some gets spilled in the bilge during that process.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The setup should be fine. Have you added coolant to the recovery bottle only to find it disappear and not return?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.