• Creator
    Topic

andyvinkus
    Participant

I have an old Canadian Fish Tug, with a Perkins 6.354 N/A from the late 60’s.  I picked up a 12V 6BTA out of a School Bus that I’d like to marinize for this old metal boat.  

Here’s my high level plan:

1.) Replace PTO air compressor and hydraulic steering pump with gear driven freshwater pump.

2.) Add Aftercooler to cooling circuit.  (Previously had aftercooler built into bus radiator)

3.) Add Oil Cooler

4.) Add heat exchanger and expansion tank.

5.) Adaptor plate for Borg Warner Velvet Drive 72C 2.91:1 Transmission

6.) All sorts of adaptors/couplings, hoses, etc…

Questions: 

Is a water cooled turbo required?

I’d like to keep dry exhaust.  Do I need a water cooled exhaust manifold?  I’d like to re-route the turbo to the back of the engine block anyway, so I’m thinking a new exhaust manifold is in store.

CPL: 1579

Configuration: D403025BX02

Year: 1993

Service Model Name: 6B5.9

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Don’t worry about an aftercooler.. Get the engine installed and get it running /propped so it makes at least 2400-2500RPM without the coolant going above 180F ( use a 160F thermostat)..  Thermal wrap the exhaust & turbo

Be sure your gear stays under 170F with 140-15 better

Keep the engine room well ventilated so temp stay under 120F max.

andyvinkus
    Participant

Thanks for the Reply Tony

1.)  I meant sea-water pump.  Fresh Water circuit would run off the engines water pump.

2.)  This is the question I’m having a hard time answering.  This engine is set-up with the VE pump and the CPL indicates it’s a 160hp motor.  I don’t plan on revising the hp of this motor, making me wonder if an aftercooler is necessary.  Per your response, it boils down to fuel consumption while cruising.  Perhaps I could add one later?

3.)  I plan on reusing the external heat exchanger on my Borg Warner oil circuit.  

Thanks again for your advice.  Much appreciated.  

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Bus B to Marine B conversion

1.) The engine already has a build-in coolant pump

2.) Add Aftercooler to cooling circuit? ————-This may or may not even be needed–It all depends on the HP you expect to pull from the engine at cruise LOAD in the 1800-2200 RPM range–4GPH or less, I’d say not needed

3.) Add Oil Cooler–The engine has a built-in coolant cooled oil cooler. The gear will need something though to keep the oil temp under 170F or so

4.) Add heat exchanger and expansion tank.–Yes– you will need that, properly sized and plumbed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As to a coolant cooled turbo or exhaust manifold..  In a steel boat with a well ventilated and large engine room, maybe not if they are properly insulated and you keep your engine loading to about 4 GPH ( or less)  at cruise RPM’s… It all come down to HEAT and keeping engine room temps safe

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.