• Creator
    Topic

Joe
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Knot time
    Engines: 6BTA’s 370

This is a well weathered topic, I’ve been reading the many threads regarding cold starts and hope the members can help me with some alternative ideas. First I’ve got a pair of 6BTA’s 370 hp 2003 vintage with just over 3000 hours on each, pre-heat system disabled by the previous owner and block heaters installed. The block heaters work great when the boat is in the slip but I live on an island and have it on a mooring buoy 90% of the time. After the boat sits for a couple days getting them started is a challenge. I’ve tried full throttle starting and the black cloud on a calm cold day is epic! Then as the stumbling calms the cloud goes to white, I have to admit the first time I tried it I was a bit overwhelmed with panic. I’ve read the threads that refer to adding a switch to the fuse holder of the pre-heat and I especially like the reference by Tony of a timer type switch. So to my question, are there any other alternative solutions/suggestions that people have for cold starting?

Also as a side note I’d really like to upgrade to the wolverines heaters but can’t seem to find any info on how these are attached to the oil pans? Is an adhesive used or is it a compression type attachment?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Kraig Kilger
    Participant

Paint Removal

I installed 250w Wolverines low on the side of the oil pan of my QSC’s, and I used a Dremel with flap wheel sander to make quick work of the paint. If you have shore power there is no reason not do use these as they do a great job of keeping your ER dry and free of rust with relatively low power usage.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Scott,
    Scroll down to Phil’s “pictorial” https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/block-heaters/
    And continue down the page for a paint removal trick.

ciscokid69
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Turn Point
    Engines: Cummins QSB 6.7

Wolverine Heater Installation

Rob, Read the threads strongly suggesting ditching the Cummins factory block heater on our QSB 6.7. Wolverine is recommended replacement. In looking at their website, the install requires removing most paint on pan. I assume the location is on the bottom-making for a tough install. Any advice would be welcomed on the location and installation tips/experience. Thanks, Scott

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The Wolverines are your solution when at the dock for a condensation free engine and cold start improving. They are adhered to the pan. For when you are on the mooring not many options. The grid heaters may help with cold start smoke, you’ll have to re-activate them and see for yourself. Do be sure your engine cranking speed is 100% – batteries, cables, starter – as a slower crank results in harder starting. And valve adjustments can effect starting.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.