• Creator
    Topic

Michael Piva
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Empty Pockets
    Engines: Cummins qsb380

I see your posts a lot on boat diesel I was hoping you can give me some pointers and sell me some parts. I am doing an engine swap and I am going from cat 3208 to cummins 5.9 qsb380’s
    I currently have a racor 900 do I need to update my fuel filters? The cummins came with exhaust 90’s that have the raw water jacket. I read your ad and I am thinking I should do with them and go to a longer run before I inject the water what’s your thoughts? Should I use the water injection from the original 90? Do you sell the insulation I would need or where, do I get it if the dry exhaust is the way to go. As far as my water pumps I have read that the Sherwood pumps are not good  What’s your recommendations? The main wire harness has a broken clip and has a few solder joints do you sell the harness’s. I want to do the install right the first time and want to get these engines up to par while they are out any thing else you could think of would be great? The engines I bought have 1500 hours on them

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Michael,

Your questions on exhaust design and my thoughts as to most anything applicable you your possible repower  are all answered with good pictures and dialog starting on  this link with 4 or 5 after it–Read, study, look & learn:

Everything you Need to Know About Marine Exhaust Systems

Next Fuel filtration:  Same thing.. Start with this article and go from there– Not less that 5 other articles that will tell you my thoughs/politics and the logic and experience behind it..

Marine Fuel Filtration “The Seaboard Way”

As to your precise needs, if you need something very specific, then your question needs to be just, very specific,  along with pictures trying to show us exactly what you need to accomplish..

Any electronic engine requires  “special needs” as to ending up with a quality installation along if you want a long term reliable repower. The QSB 5.9 will do you right as long as you do it right.

Let’s see what your 3208 is surviving in currently as to your engine room so we can all get a feel for what you have now..

Good Pictures of all is required..

Tony

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.