• Creator
    Topic

RMI LLC
    Participant

Customer called because their stbd engine suddenly lost power like it was out of fuel. I went out with the customer and drove the boat and we had no issues for 1.5 hours. They called back later saying that it happened again. Since then:

Changed Racors (engine mounted filters are approx 2 months old, but Racors had some contamination) and re-sealed racor housings. Fixed 2 leaking fittings to correct air noted in fuel return. I couldnĀ“t replicate the problem.

Customer came back in town and took the boat out, same problem occurred. Today I air tested the air/fuel diaphragm – tested good. For informationsĀ“ sake, I started the engine with the cap off the coolant reservoir. Immediately there was some bubble formation, then when throttling up, the coolant foamed up like soda water. Throttling down, the foam increased significantly before subsiding.

After warming up, the engine would drop down in RPM to <1000 and rattle like it was missing on 2 cylinders, and no matter what I did with the throttle it wouldnĀ“t rev back up unless I brought it down to low idle, let it settle out (takes a few minutes as though bleeding air out of the system), then throttled it up again.

Not seeing any fuel in the coolant, no coolant loss, and no fuel or coolant in the oil. The starboard engine is noticeably louder than port, but IĀ“m not seeing an exhaust leak. I donĀ“t see anything that would lead me to a head gasket, but possibly the fuel system being aerated by a leaking injector sleeve?

I donĀ“t have a lot of other history on the boat, but all the things I went to check so far, look like someone else has already been down this road (fittings and bolts missing paint, etc). Thoughts?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

RMI LLC
    Participant

Thanks Tony!

Thanks Tony! I appreciate the feedback.

I actually went back and put fuel pressure gauges on the engine again and ran it in the slip. I was about to give up on it when it started acting up again and the fuel pressure dropped to almost nothing. I could manually pump the priming pump and keep the engine running, then it eventually started building pressure again and stabilized itself. A new fuel pump and drive assembly (the cam in the drive end was damaged) and all is well.

The coolant was a bit over-concentrated, which may have contributed to the foaming. Thinned it down with some distilled water to a proper concentration and that symptom is gone away.

Great forum here, thanks for hosting it!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

CAT 3116

The CAT 3116 is an extremely hard engine to deal with if you do not have the specialized tools that are needed to work on the extremely complex fuel system……………….I have no clue what else to tell you other than you need to find a guy that knows this engine well and owns the proper & expensive tools to deal with all the testing & precise settings in the fuel delivery system….. That’s what I have to do as we cannot deal with them.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.