• Creator
    Topic

Ron Pickering
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Anykine
    Engines: 6BTA 370

I have 2 group 31 batteries wired to an on/off switch used to start the 6bta 370 hp in my boat. I got the boat that way. I don’t turn the engine off when fishing. What I would like to do is have a separate house bank and starting bank. What would be the best way to setup a starting bank and also a house bank so I can turn the engine off while fishing and still use electronic deep drop reels and lights without having to be worried about starting the engine in the morning?
    I would like all the batteries to be charging when the engine is running.

Thanks
    Ron

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ron Pickering
    Participant

Looks like I have a few options.

Thanks for all the help.

Ron

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

……. As for my DC distribution would a simple 1-2-both-off switch work?
    Ron

A 4 position switch could work but it requires you to be manually manage & control what is happening at all times. You’re alternator charging would be to the common lug on the switch and charging would be dictated by the switch position. So you’re on the “both” position running out to the grounds keeping both batteries charged then you shut down and spend the day with the engine off with the house systems drawing current. If you failed to move the switch over to the “house” position then “both” batteries will continue to be drawn down. Thus, if you fail to keep the switch in the proper position at all times the system will fail you.

Ron Pickering
    Participant

Tony,

I understand what your saying as to being two separate things. As for my DC distribution would a simple 1-2-both-off switch work?
    I was thinking about adding the DVM’s just to monitor.

Ron

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Ron,

Wiring DVM’s to monitor BATTERY TERMINAL VOLTAGE has absolutely NOTHING to with your DC power distribution system which is part of your 1-2-Both switches..

Follow the wiring posted on this subject or you will not accomplish the intent or benefit of this.–Don’t 2nd guess it..

Tony

Ron Pickering
    Participant

Would one be able to use a 1-2-both-off switch and a couple of DVM’s to monitor batteries?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

On my ACR/combiner I added a remote mounted LED so I know when the circuit is closed or open and I also added a control switch so I have full control over it being open, closed or in auto mode using the setpoint pull in and drop out voltages. This along with the DVM’s allows you to “see” all and remove any doubt as to what is or should be happening at any time. You will surely want to incorporate the DVM install into you upgrade project so you’ll never have to “think” about what the start battery is doing (or more importantly – not doing) while you’re fishing.

Installing Digital Volt Meters (DVM) on Your Boat

SMX Digital Voltage Monitor

Ron Pickering
    Participant

Bill,

Am I reading the diagram you linked correct with there being three 70-100 amp switch/circuit breakers with 2 being N.C. (normally closed) and 1 being N.O. (normally open)?

Any preferred brand or manufacturer?

Thanks again.

Ron

Ron Pickering
    Participant

Thanks Guys.

That’s what I was looking for.

Walter Schwab
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Blue Moon
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA-370

Here is how it works on my boat also with a 6bta 370 (see pdf below). You will need a combiner, another battery switch ( in case your start battery dies you can start the engine with the house batteries), a couple of 150 breakers, and an inverter/charger to keep everything charged up when your’e plugged in to shore power.

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.