• Creator
    Topic

amgrant1979
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Knoty Buoyz
    Engines: 6BTA-370

Hi guys,

One of our engines 6Bta 370 has a vibration when underway,  I missed getting a pic of the mount that looks like it has failed but got some of the other mounts.

My question is what is the minimum height for a loaded barry Mount?

I measured from the top of the stringer to the bottom of the engine bracket.  This was 85mm.  can the Barry mount accommodate this?

Pictures of existing mounts unfortunately didn’t get one of the mount I suspect has Failed.

mount2

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Jacking / Lifting the Engine

Andrew,

Every engine room is going to be different as to how this is done due to access, clearances, etc.  Working one mount at a time and to just take the weight off the mount, like a 1/16″ lift, you may be able to work with wood blocking under the corner of the pan and a wedge and hammer to get that slight lift to get the weight off the mount.  Just remove the top nut from the mount first.

If you need to do more than that then you should probably disconnect the shaft coupling and figure out how to get a jack under the engine.  A block of wood under the pan rail (rim with the bolt heads) is always the safest but the pan will hold the weight (don’t point load it) doing one at a time.  If you use a jack, don’t rely on the jack as you take things apart, be sure to block it just in case the jack comes loose or retracts.

Here’s an idea from a Tony diagram as to making a level working surface under the engine for blocking/jacking.  Again, all comes down to your working room..and of course be sure to check alignment when all back together

under-engine-for-lift

amgrant1979
    Participant

Tony, after Discussing our Options we have decided to go with the Barry Mounts from you guys.  I will modify the Front mounts on the port engine as required to get the mounts in.  I know you guys have a lot of experience with this and if you could look at the mounts in question and see if you have any advise for me.  Also any advise on where is safe to Jack the B series so that i can get it off the existing mounts would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Andrew

amgrant1979
    Participant

Ok so I went out to the boat today and measured each mount independently I measured in MM converted to Inch,  below is what I have found.

Port Engine

Left hand front 80mm/3.15″

Right hand front 77mm/3.03″  the worst clearance

Left hand Rear 90mm/3.54″

Right hand rear 84mm/3.31″

STBD Engine

Left hand front 83mm/3.27″

Right hand front 84mm/3.31″

Left hand rear 90mm/3.54″

Right hand rear 85mm/3.35″

what do you think tony?  I was a bit bummed out when i measured the right hand front.  the Boat is a 2002 Riviera and I would imagine these are the original mounts, is there any chance that they have sagged over 14 years? I’ve owned it for 4 years haven’t touched the mounts, had the cutlass bearings done on both engines no mention from the mechanics about alignment problems but in Hong Kong that doesn’t mean much.

The tightest clearance is on the front engine mounts, two thoughts I have had are

1)elongating the holes where the engine bracket bolts to the engine to gain some extra clearance.

Or

2) “flip the front mounts upside down and add hight to the stringer?”

Just trowing them out there as I’m sure you have been down this road many times.

Regards

Andrew

amgrant1979
    Participant

ok ill go re-measure and re-measure again, and get back to you.

cheers

Andrew

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

If your minimum measurement id 3.36″, then you can make these fit–Well greased, thin nut and ONE washer under your bracket..

Tony

amgrant1979
    Participant

I thought we were a little short height wise,  from my measurements we have 85mm/3.34inch from the top of the stringer to the bottom of the engine mount.

Unfortunately we are not in a position to undergo major manufacturing of the engine mounts or the stringers at this point in time.

I guess ill have to go back to Bushing Inc and get some replacements until i’m in a position to get new engine mounts made.

So my next question is what is the easiest way to swap engine mounts out, is there a safe place to jack the engine off the mount or a safe place’s to support the engine whilst i remove one mount at a time?

Thanks

Andrew

Tony Athens

Pictures are good and say it all————————–Your “Bushing Inc” mounts are 100% done as to having anything left in them to absorb linear vibration.. As to installing new Barry mounts, look at the picture.. This is what you will have to work around……..Regardless of how you go, BIG JOB. From the looks of things, you need about 1.5 ” of additional height all around..

Tony

Bushing Mount Heigth

.75 inch stud Barry mount (2)

.75 inch isolator--Drawing

Barry Mount Dimensions .75 inch stud 27655 Series

amgrant1979
    Participant

last 2 pics

So Tony, I guess that you mean by pre-loaded that the mounts are holding a side or fwd/aft force therefore should be perfectly upright.  I tried to capture this with the camera but easier said than done especially the outside mounts as they are below the hight of a ledge immediately next to them.  To my untrained eye when taking the photos it seems that if my understanding of pre-load is correct that the is little to no pre-load.

I have also included some pics of my mounts with a tape measure next to them, it seems to me from your information and several measurements that I have made that the Barry Mounts would fit without any modification to my current bracketing.

Apologies for some of the pictures being the wrong orientation, not sure how that happened as they all appear correctly orientated prior to posting?

Cheers

Andrew

amgrant1979
    Participant

still more pics

hope this is what u were after more pics

amgrant1979
    Participant

amd more pics

still more

amgrant1979
    Participant

photo's 2

more pics

amgrant1979
    Participant

photo's

pics of all mounts hope this is what you need

Tony Athens

Andrew,

For a really good assessment of things and what you will need to do, and do it “right”, look at this link..

Vibration Isolator & Engine Mount Views

Pictures of you existing mounts & brackets showing  both side and fore or aft views would make it best for me to really help..

It means crawling down there and getting the camera set-up right, but that is a small price to pay as it will save you hours of work & frustration along with $$$  too.

Remember, good help comes from good input..

Tony

amgrant1979
    Participant

Thanks Tony,

I found another couple of pics from further away, ill take better ones when I get out to the boat again.

Looks like from my measurements the barry Mounts would fit my Bracketing,  Is there anything you would recommend Modifying?

Regards

Andrew

mounts3
    mounts4

Tony Athens

You need to get farther away so I can see all of the brackets, etc.. You old “Bushings Inc” mounts were not very good when new, and are completely done now.

If you really want to make it right, you will need to redo your bracketing to accommodate a superior quality mount like the Barry.

Tony

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.