• Creator
    Topic

Mike Schmidt
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 330hp

I need to remove my harmonic balancer as part of the process for replacing the crankshaft seal, but my understanding is that I need to lock up the engine with a barring tool to torque off those bolts.  Where in the heck is the port to insert the barring tool?  

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

JimmyK
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Incognito
    Engines: 2 x 6BTA 370s

It’s behind the aftercooler. 

Assuming you don’t have v-drives, your starter is on the starboard side of the motor and the opening for the barring tool is in the bell housing in a similar spot on the opposite (port) side.  But w/the aftercooler in place it is hard/impossible to see.

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

The “barring tool” will spin the flywheel.  It is located on the same side of the engine as the Injector Pump but is located at the rear of the engine on the “front” side of the bellhousing.

There is a hole in the casting and in many cases is where the magnetic flywheel tooth counter is installed.  This would need to be removed and the barring tool inserted.

If you are asking about the “front” of the engine leaking oil and are assuming it is the front crankshaft seal, I suggest that the leak could be from the front timing cover.  Possibly…

There is a picture in the cummins B-series manual that shows the barring tool.  If you dont have the manual  maybe someone could post a pic.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.