• Creator
    Topic

youngfam
    Participant

Hello again !

I have a twin cummins 4bta 2001 Bayliner 3488 and owned it 4 years now.

My port engine seems to be forcing crank oil out the dipstick and looking for some direction. I had a mechanic look but not sure he was really that knowledgeable on diesels. He removed the oil cap and felt for excessive blowby but said it seemed normal.

Short version is I had front crank seals leaking and I replaced both engines. Changed the oil and moved on until one day I had oil in my bilge and found it coming from my port dipstick. I read about your article on pan volume and adjusted down. It helped but I still have some creeping up at high rpm 22-3000. I also feel like the horsepower is not what it used to be getting up on top of water. I do have the airsep system on both engines. I can also see a little bit of oil drip up near the airsep system on both engines but not a lot. Was looking at the seaboard system but wondered do I take all the airsep parts off and plug the drain into the crankĀ  through the check valve etc.Ā Ā 

Looking for best steps for me to take/ I pretty good around mechanical work and wondered if the engine is in trouble. Previous owner seemed to take good care of the boat with regular maintenance. The aftercoolers have not been serviced since I have owned the boat and was going to look at them. The port engine however is so tight for space can I justĀ  take the end caps off instead of removing the aftercooler? Engine running temp has been the same since owning the boat. Looking for some solutions or process of elimination to take.Ā 

Appreciate any insight form the seaboard group.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

youngfam
    Participant

thanks Tony

Going try replacing current Airsep with yours.

My 4bta are the 250HP version. In your store it lists the 4bta kit as under 250 HP. Please advise which one is correct for my engines pic of my air filter attached. Are these envirokits in stock as well as the aftercooler o ring gaskets as I might ship them to Palm Desert CA as I am heading down there for 10 days then I can bring back to Canada.

Cheers

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.