• Creator
    Topic

Jerome Billett
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Sweet Escape
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA M3

I recently disconnected the fuel cooler plumbing on my 6CTAs and replaced with the SBmar raw water hose modification. For now the coolers are still in place with fuel lines attached just zip tied up out of the way. When I disconnect the fuel lines in and out of the cooling Ā pipe and connect them together to re-establish the flow path, what can I expect?

1) Will much fuel flow out of either line considering it is the return flow and engine is off.

2) Will there be any priming required after I reconnect the lines?

Any advice appreciated.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jerome Billett
    Participant

Boy, don’t I know it. I have no idea what Sea Ray was thinking with this design. I’m a raw rookie at all this but have Ā discovered enough to know it’s better to do the work myself than find out the guy I paid only went half way because it was too uncomfortable. Thanks for the support.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You’ve already gotten to the point of where you can disconnect and reconnect the line….So disconnect it but then reconnect it to a short length of hose that is capped off.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You are fighting a builder design to where they did not give you access to key parts Ā to your vessel.. Rob’s insight as to what is most likely going on is 110%. Ā You just need to Ā figure out a way Ā to make up or work around Ā that.. Tony Ā  Ā 

Jerome Billett
    Participant

There are no shut off valves and it is so tight between the top of the tank and the floor above it would be a skin ripping experience to free the lines I’d rather avoid. If the problem can be resolved by running off some fuel, I will just wait until I have 1/2 full tanks. Thanks for the information Rob.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Return Lines

Sounds like your tanks have submerged return line dip tubes (a good thing) but no shutoff valves. Ā If no shutoff valves and the tanks are higher than the engines (which it sounds like) you will have to be a little creative to get this done. Ā Can you disconnect the return lines at the top of the tank and then drain the lines into a container?

Jerome Billett
    Participant

Problems

I finally got around to disconnecting the return fuel line on the “easy” side. After about a pint of fuel squirted out I had to abandon the mission and reconnect. Is it possible I am siphoning fuel back from my tank since I just filled up? i.e. the return line going into the tank has a fitting that projects far enough into the tank to be submerged?

Jerome Billett
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. That’s what I suspected and hoped for but am happy to find out for sure.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You will lose about 2-3 tablespoon of fuel ( less than a diapers worth).. No bleeding necessary..

All is super simple with nothing scary.

Tony

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.