• Creator
    Topic

Todd Hankins
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Another Vice
    Engines: 5.9 6BTA's 330hp

Just had my turbos rebuilt and had to replace the oil feed line, not sure what kind of stuff Cummins put on the flared fitting into the adapter but it was never coming off so I had to cut them.  I understand I need to manually put oil in the turbo before firing up.  Two questions, how much oil should I put in there, and do I need to prime the oil feed line before firing up?  I realize oil pressure builds quickly but just want to be sure I don’t hurt anything by firing up with a dry oil feed line.  Thanks

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

bluebyu
    Participant

To follow up on Richards post, while it works….

When I purchased a rebuilt turbo, the instructions called for adding a few oz’s of oil to the top of the turbo before starting.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Right, since the turbo is primed at that point for initial startup and that oil line will flow oil quickly.

Todd Hankins
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Another Vice
    Engines: 5.9 6BTA's 330hp

Thanks Rob.  Once manually oiled then, would you not have any concern firing up with a new (dry) oil feed line?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You could pour a few ounces of oil in the supply hole at the top of the turbo while you spin the turbo manually.  A creased paper cup work good for this. 

Richard Dodson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SWAY
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 480

Turbo Oil

Todd: FWIW, I had to totally rebuild one of my CT6A 480s, including the turbo. No one ever mentioned pouring oil in the turbo supply line, we got it back together and fired it up. The turbo will receive oil very quickly and really isn’t spinning much at idle.  

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.