• Creator
    Topic

Chris Pegram
    Participant

Hi, I believe we have an intermittent issue with our start solenoid. Key activates power to dash/alarm panels. Eng will not start via push button at upper or lower station. Bridged terminal at mag switch with no response. Bridged terminal on start solenoid and engine fired. This occurred approximately 2 years ago on a few start attempts but had not reoccurred until now. Gear box is an IRM220 and I don’t believe there is a neutral safety switch installed.

Is it possible to change the solenoid only or does the entire unit need to be replaced?

ESN 60262730 (CUMMINS RECON)

Thanks. 

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Chris Pegram
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We have since discovered what we believe to be a neutral safety switch wired to the gear shifters (Morse) at the lower helm. This could be the culprit and will attempt to inspect for corrosion etc at some stage.

As for the mag switch and solenoid, I would have thought that if you bridged the contacts at the mag switch first with no response and then got the engine to fire by bridging the solenoid second, that would imply the solenoid was at fault? Bridging the terminals on the mag switch should send a signal to the solenoid to engage and start the engine if the solenoid is serviceable?  

Thanks again. 

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

The MAG switch is taking a 12v feed from you start button (or key).  It is then sending a more higher amp rated feed to your “solenoid”.

The purpose of the MAG switch is to save your starter button switch (or key switch). 

The MAG is just a fancy version of a relay and from your explanation it sounds like the problem

1 user thanked author for this post.

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

…from what you are stating it sounds like the “MAG” switch is the problem.  Just change the MAG switch…

unless I am not understanding you correctly.  If you are giving power to the solenoid then the solenoid is working…if you give power to the MAG switch and it is not in turn sending the power to the solenoid then you MAG switch would be the culprit.

Brian Kirk
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Wildside
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 280

I rebuilt the solenoid on my Dodge diesel truck, very cheap and robust kit available online.  You would have to check compatability with the marine starter.

Laurence Warden
    Participant
    Vessel Name: North Star
    Engines: Twin 370 hp Cummins

Yes, you can change out the solenoid on the starter, I did this on one of my 6BTA engines to solve an occasional intermittent start.  You will need to confirm the solenoid is firing and not completing the high-tension connection to the starter motor.  The failure mode is typically corroded or warn contacts within the solenoid. If the solenoid is not firing, look elsewhere for the cause, key switch, neutral switch, etc.

You will need to remove the starter to replace the solenoid.   Typically when they start to go repeated hitting of the start button gets them to start so you get fair warning when a solenoid is going out.  I found a replacement starter on ebay of all places….

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.