• Creator
    Topic

Patrick Mangum
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Patty Wagon
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 330

Last trip out just cleared the marina entrance I was watching the engines warm up at 1000 rpm, I heard a sudden scratching sound.  Pulled back and looked into the engine room.  Immediately saw frayed pieces of belt on the port engine.  Got back to the dock and discovered the port belt to be frayed along the edge. Removed the damaged belt and bought a new one.  Genuine Cummins belt (3288689)

A little history here…6BTA 330s Recons installed in 2008 – 522 hours (122 since I purchased last year)

Port SN: 60249460 –

Stbd SN: 60249472

I don’t know how old the belts are (Part No. 3288689).  They had some cracking on the ribs.  These were on my list to replace anyway.

I did a lot in the engine room this winter including going to the 160 tstats.  When I had put the old belt back on after installing the 160 tstat it was a real pain to get the belt back on.  It almost seemed like the belt was too small.  Maybe when I put the belt on I was off by a rib causing it to rub/fray on the edge?

The old belt had 7 ribs.  The new belt has 8 ribs.  Same 3288689 Part Number.  Installed the new belt yesterday.  Prior to doing so I checked all the things that spin.  No squeaks and no play in any of the pulleys.  Tensioner looked good with the “shims” still in place.  Both engines have 105A Delco Remy Alternators.  Seemed all right to me. 

New belt went on easily.  Started the engine.  All looked fine.  I did notice the motion on the tensioner.  Link to video below.  Is this normal?  I haven’t yet compared the tensioner motion to the stbd side tensioner yet but can do so.  Video shows engine in gear 600 rpms at the dock. 

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Patrick Mangum
    Participant

Old Belt – 7 Ribs

Tony,

Yes, 7 Ribs.  New Genuine Cummins belt had 8.  I also picked up 2 NAPA belts that interchanged to the Cummins 3288689 part number and they also have 8 ribs.  

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Cummins Serpentine belt –7 vs. 8 ribs??

The old belt had 7 ribs. The new belt has 8 ribs.

Are you sure?

Patrick Mangum
    Participant

Thank you, Rob.  

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Good informative post with issue, history, photos and a video.  Thanks for all that.  All looks good to me and I think you are right when you say you were off by one rib/groove when you re-installed the belt after your winter work.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.