• Creator
    Topic

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

Last week ran the boat from the yard to the mooring. Ran it at cruise, 3000RPM for about an hour then the engine suddenly lost power and died. Immediately thought of fuel filters but was surprised at the abruptness. Bled lines, cracked injectors and got it running. Unable to power up again, idled to mooring which was pretty close. Next day, changed the RACOR and secondary. Racor was pretty clean, secondary was pretty dirty. No change, no power. Still can idle. Fuel tanks about 1/3 full, both port and starboard.

That winter I had cleaned the RACOR but didn’t do new seals. I thought it may be a vacuum leak so I tested with clear vinyl hose and a vacuum gauge. Found air. Rebuilt RACOR with new seal kit. Prime and test, no air. Closing the valve on the inlet to the RACOR resulted in quick response of the vacuum gauge. Did this to test for leaks, only brought it to 5-6″ of vacuum. Ran the boat, good power, running normal. Back to the dock. Smelt fuel. Opened the engine hatch to find the return hose at the secondary filter banjo to be leaking. It is old. Replaced the hose with new A1 1/4″ fuel hose.

Took the boat out today and once again stumbled when powering up. Back to the dock. Tried to check for air in the fuel by cracking the inlet valve to the RACOR with clear vinyl hose. No response from the vacuum gauge and some air. It seems like the fuel flow rate is very slow and weak. Tried priming everything by using the manual feed pump. Seems to be pumping good. Still no luck.

Ran off a jerry can from the jerry can to the secondary filter. Manual prime pump seems to pump as expected, but when the engine is running the return fuel flow is weak. Didn’t leave the dock as the weather wasn’t the best and it was later in the day. But, I don’t have high hopes that it will run good.

I am suspecting a bad feed pump. Any thoughts?

I may have two problems with the leaking racor and feed pump which is making it difficult to diagnose.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

suspect check valve in lift pump on outlet? Thoughts?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.