• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by john.
  • Creator
    Topic

Blair Ostergren
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riley Blair II
    Engines: 4bt

I am having problems with my port tachs. I bought the boat with this issue so I cannot provide previous info. The lower helm tach was pegged at 4k with or with out motor running. Nothing on the upper helm. I removed the upper helm tach and installed in lower station, nothing. I put the starboard tach connection on it and tach worked. now I know I have a working tach at lower port station. I have a signal generator at the fly wheel. I disconnected and cleaned the connection. I am guessing that the signal generator may be bad. How can I test to make sure it is producing signal at the flywheel and check signal at the tach? Should I be looking somewhere else? Is there a magnet on the fly wheel that produces the signal? I

Thanks,
    Blair

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

john
    Participant

Swap the sender is the easiest way test it. If it duplicates you haveyour answer

Blair Ostergren
    Participant

I don’t think I am confusing things

1. (The Problem ) The port side does not have any tachs working upper or lower.

2. Part of my trouble shooting I tested a port tach to make sure I have at least one good tach. This would eliminate the problem being I just have 2 bad tachs. I did this by using starboard engine wire at dash.

3. Yes, I have one Signal generator at flywheel housing that operates both tachs.

4. ( The Question) How can I test the signal generator at the Flywheel to make sure it is producing signal?
    Sender part # 3078155 there are two ends one is plugged and the other is plugged into engine harness.
    -there are two wires being used from the sender. should I assume one is power going to the sender and the other is signal going to the tach?

5. one more problem I am dealing with, when the port engine is running the buzzer does not shut off. I and tracking that next. I thought that was from oil pressure sender. would the tach have anything to do with buzzer? and yes engine has oil pressure and reads so on the gauge.

john
    Participant

If you get a tach to work on port and starboard your senders are good. Lower and upper helm will share the same sender. I would look at wiring, corrosion, grounds

Blair Ostergren
    Participant

Here is where I am at the moment

lower port helm tach is a good tach, I verified this by attaching the lead from starboard engine and it worked fine. I did this because the lower port tach I removed had the needle pegged at 4k with or with out power to it. So I wanted to make sure I have a working tach at lower port helm. While testing I went to fly bridge and the starboard tach worked with starboard engine even though I had switched the leads at lower helm (port lead to starboard tach and vis versa) I was checking to see if the upper and lower helm shared a signal or had independent signals from the motor. With everything hooked up back the way it is supposed to be (except I have no tach installed at upper port helm) the port is not working.

my next step is to try and test to see if the signal generator is producing a signal and check the signal input line at the helm. (other suggestions appreciated)

My question is how do you test that signal ?

More info
    1. I bought the boat with this problem so have no prior info and cant get it.
    2. Engines did get wet, and I have checked and cleaned connections
    3. 4BT serial # 45294155
    4. Part number for the signal generator on flywheel housing 3078155

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

If you moved the starboard tachometer to the port side and it worked didn’t that prove that the port signal is there?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.