• Creator
    Topic

Blair Ostergren
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riley Blair II
    Engines: 4bt

Is it possible to use the following line for an oil drain line??

The blue oil line that drains oil back from a Walker airsep. It is supposed to be capped off when an evironvent CCV kits is install.

Does it drain back to oil pan or crank case?

I plan on installing the Envirovent kit. What I am thinking is instead of capping this line. Removing the check valve and adding a connection and running line to a built in pump for oil changes.

Reason I am asking. I have good access to the front oil pan plugs. However I do not have good access to the rear of pan and due to the angle of the motor I would prefer to pull from the rear as that is the low point of the pan. I can see the line running in that direction but I loose sight and can not reach it to follow and see if it goes to the rear plug in pan.

Does anyone know if it attaches to the rear oil pan plug or a low spot in the pan that would be a good place to drain oil?

I am sure it would be way to easy for this to work!

If it is not feasible as a drain point is there a kit I can add to get a line from the rear of pan?

If I can not get to the rear of pan is it ok to drain from front plug?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Your picture showing nothing as to where it is attached to the oil pan. And, it shows nothing as to where the Walker 1-way valve drain is. Both of these are critical to your question

Am I missing something?

Marc Messina
    Participant
    Vessel Name: LIBERTY
    Engines: (2) Cummins 4BTA 3.9L, 250hp

Sorry,
    Forgot to attach picture.
    Thanks,
    Marc

Marc Messina
    Participant
    Vessel Name: LIBERTY
    Engines: (2) Cummins 4BTA 3.9L, 250hp

Hello,

I had the same question as Blair above. Can you drain the oil on a 4BTA by unhooking the blue hose directly underneath the Walker Airsep? In other words, I don’t want to undo the compression fitting where the Walker Airsep hose connects to the compression fitting on the hose that then goes to the oil pan. Do you need to unhook the compression fitting, or can I just loosen the hose clamp under the Walker Airsep and drain the oil from there? I have attached a picture of the blue hose with the hose clamp I’m referring to. Thanks for any help and direction you could provide.

Marc

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

For the blue raw water hose best bet is to take it to an autoparts and match it up to a radiator hose with the proper molded radius and cut to length as in this pic. The coolant hose should be what is called a turbo backfeed hose. Email your pic and request to [email protected]

Sonny Jim Reeves
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paradox
    Engines: 4BTA3.9M TC

Need the hoses in this picture

Need the hoses in picture. The engine is a 4BTA3.9M in a 2001 Mainship. The blue hose is raw water to exhaust from heat exchanger. The painted white hose goes from banjo fitting on turbo to heat exchanger and is engine coolant. I am ordering the kit for the aftercooler and heat exchanger service. Would like to add the hoses to the order.

Thanks the oil change worked fine.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

yup, that blue hose is what I use for oil drain, you can see it here clipped to the upright next to the dipstick

Sonny Jim Reeves
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paradox
    Engines: 4BTA3.9M TC

Is this line usable to drain oil on 4TBA ?

The blue line has a cap on it and disappears under the rear of the engine. I have been unable to discover the location it is attached. Looking for how to change the oil on this engine in a 30 mainship . A new owner of a Cummins, I have been a diesel tech on Volvos and Mercedes for 45 yrs. Now retired trying to do my own service work. Appreciate the help! Thank you!

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

The “by the book” airsep install was to replace the oil pan drain plug with a fitting to which the airsep drain hose with check valve is installed. So the answer to your question should be yes you can re-purpose that connection. I would however use a mirror and also get your hand on that connection and verify exactly what you have and that it is solid and secure. You do want to pull from the low end as you mentioned…

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.