• Creator
    Topic

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Hot Mess
    Engines: 4bt

I have an engine that I am getting prepared to rebuild.  The cam part number does not match the part number in the parts manual for CPL 741.

I did some research for a supersession part, but apparently the part number that the manual shows is the newest part number.  From my research the cam in CPL 741 is 392039 and that replaced 3925582′.  The cam in my engine has a strange part number, but it comes up on a search.  The cam I removed from my engine is part number 390744606.  does anyone know if there’s a difference in cams?  

The cam in my other engine that I am using for my rebuild is CPL 591. In the parts manual for this engine, it shows to use the same cam as CPL 741, which is 392039.  The cam that came out of this engine is 3914638.

Can I use either cams, or should I purchase cam number 392039?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant

my 150hp 4bt overheated, so I am trying to save money on a rebuilding it.  I purchased the 65hp 4b a long time ago for a parts engine.  When I purchased it, I did not realize the differences between the engines.  When I disassembled the 4b, I seen that this engine has almost no time on it. 

I am cross referencing the parts of the 4b to use on the 4bt rebuild.  I figure that any part that has less time on it, I will use for my rebuild.

The block of the 4bt is heavily grooved.  I don’t know if the proper procedure is boring and buying oversized pistons on a cummins engine, or buying oversized sleeves and sleeving, or what to do.  The 4b block has standard journals, and is in perfect shape, so I would like to use the 4b block instead of sending the 4bt block to a machine shop.

The cranks in both engines are standard sized, and are stamped with the same part number.  The crank in the 4b block has almost no time on it.  I would like to use the 4b crank

The main caps have the same part numbers on both engines, once again, I want to use the best main caps which are the 4b main caps

The connecting rods and wrist pins are the same part number on both engines, the 4b rods and wrist pins have less time on them.

The cam part numbers removed from the engines differ, but according to the parts book, the cams are the same in both CPL’s.  Neither part numbers stamped on the cams match the parts book.  I am doubting the cam that I removed from the 4bt was the right cam in the first place.   I am trying to make sure I use the right cam on the rebuilt.

I know the pistons are different,  The cup size is smaller on the 4bt thus increasing compression,  I will purchase the right pistons for the 4bt

I know the injectors and cav pumps on both engines are different, I will use the 150hp pump for the 4bt.

I know the oil pumps are different for NA engines over Turbo.

I have not done any research on the heads yet.  I do know to increase horsepower, you need to feed more fuel.  I am assuming either the valves are differing size.  I cannot find the part numbers on the heads to do a comparison, but I was just going to use the original 4bt head anyway.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Reasonable?  IMO no , will it work –Not a  clue

1. The 741 is a turbo charged engine and by design is lower compression.

2. The CPL 741 CAV pump is calibrated to for 150 HP/2800 RPM

3. The CPL 591 is a 65 +/- HP engine with higher compression, no turbo

The engines have different injectors, etc etc etc.

So , what are you trying to build?  a 4BT of a 4B?  Or , are you just trying to make a  engine start & run ?

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant

I missed a 9 

CPL 591 serial is 44399904

CPL 741 block needs sleeved. It now has a bad bore.

my intention is to use the 591 block, crank, connecting rods, wrist pins, cam crank and fuel pump gears, and timing cover.

On 741 I want to use the complete head, injection pump, and oil pan.  I was going to use the cam and lifters out of this engine too, but according to the parts manual, neither one of these engines have the right cam part number.

I’m buying new pistons and rings according to what CPL 741 should use PN 3802100

Does tht sound reasonable?  Is the cam that came out of CPL 741 even the right cam?

Tony Athens

CPL 591 Serial number is. 4439904  = BAD serial number  —– Needs 8 digits

PLUS– A CPL591 is  4B ,  not a 4BT…..BIG difference —–For 100% sure, cams and pistons are different

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant

CPL 591 Serial number is. 4439904

CPL 741 Serial number is.  44168164

is that supposed to be a link to parts?  If it is, it doesn’t work.

thanks

Tony Athens

4BT 3.9 rebuild parts

Post an accurate ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant

I found this interesting.  The cranks are the same part number.  One is made in Brazil, and the other Britain.  I was very curious about the difference in balancing on the two.  Are these balanced with the flywheel attached?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.