• Creator
    Topic

jetcap
    Participant

As I’ve done the maintenance since purchase the only zincs to deteriorate are the bottom aftercooler zincs.  The top aftercooler and heat exchanger zincs never show any sign of sacrifice.  Only calcium like buildup.  Do I need to continue with these or just plug?

Mike

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

All looks pretty normal to me for engine sitting with saltwater in all the components..

Tony

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Zincs

just did aftercoolers and heat exchanger s also .noticed same thing.aftercoolers bottom zinc gone so I had put new ones in just before I decided to do the aftercoolers and heat exchanger.uppers weren’t to bad as well as heat exchanger.also 480 ce.bill

jetcap
    Participant

Tony,

It’s been 11 months since the aftercoolers were done via your protocol.  Roughly 90 hours.  I do them every two years.  I understand differing wear but I have not seen any deterioration of any zinc other than the bottom aftercooler ones.  They last 3-4 months.

Mike

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Mike,

All zincs need to be used.. Just replace as needed–And yes, some last longer that others…..

When was the last time your aftercooler was serviced on the bench per my protocol? Months/ years and hours.

Tony

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.