• Creator
    Topic

Michelle
    Participant

We bought this boat just over a year ago and it was running great until this summer. We had no issues all the way from Prince Rupert to Winter Harbour. Then on a little trip the port motor overheated. This was in August, its now January. We’ve had 12 different mechanics all give their opinions and hired one mechanic to troubleshoot and do repairs. Unfortunately, after the mechanic we hired pressure tested the head (all good), replaced the head gasket we are still having the same issue. Water pushes out of the header tank after it heats up, but the header tank and water stay cool. We’ve checked thermostat, water pumps, pressure tested exhaust manifold (all good), heat exchangers and tried flushing lines. When the head gasket was being replaced we noticed a lot of rust on cylinder 5, however nothing glaring to even convince us that it was indeed a blown gasket. Only 1900 hours on them when we bought it so was in good condition for the age. It’s a tough motor to find any information on…any advice is much appreciated!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

What can I say other than old “Heavy Iron” wins over “Marine Age” in this case……………………………. They just do not make them like they used to………….All is good..

Michelle
    Participant

Monk McQueen

Thanks so much, we were obviously asking the wrong mechanics for help. Ā Ended up being loose belts and we needed an idler. Ā Was fixed and running perfectly. We’ve had no issues since. Toured the entire BC coast with our children and couldn’t have asked for a better boat. Thanks again

Ken Bryant
    Participant
    Engines: 1999 370 Diamond

Just so you understand that there is a natural expansion of coolant so you will see the level in the expansion tank rise as it warms and will naturally contract back when cool. I am unsure of the total volume of coolant in these engines but it would not surprise me to see 1-2quarts of change in volume. The rust thing says you have something going on that may or may not be related to the overheat if not the head gasket then my next place to look would be in the exhaust system.

If I was chasing this – I would be looking all through the raw water side of the system. My brother was chasing an issue on a Volvo he had (’80 vintage 60 series) and we had everything apart from the raw water pickup to the exhaust elbow. Tested component by component with garden hose. (this was almost every stop of our 2 week vacation). Finally on one of the hard lines between oil cooler and heat exchanger which would flow water volume of garden hose with no problem I dropped a 10mm socket to run through the tube. – It didn’t come out. Turns out there was a giant salt crystal that was slowing flow when the engine was run up over ~2000rpm.

Now if you are a hands on, DIY person it can be reasonable to keep old iron running. If you aren’t skilled in those areas then ripping the band-aid off quickly with a simple repower may well be far more economical. It doesn’t take too many trips at $100+/hr chasing these types of issues to add up to real money. The other part of hiring out work on stuff this old is there aren’t many techs that have any real experience on it. That means you pay for the learning curve.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

#1, and what you do not understand, nor has anyone that you have involved in your questions/concerns has mentioned this term: MARINE AGE.

What are we talking here? 50 years?

Your 470 Cummins are well into the age that must be part of what you must come to grips with–Mechanical components that operate in a nasty environment, sit unused in a nasty environment and have a “nasty electrolytic fluid in them” ( seawater) that never stops what it does– corrode and make things go poo-poo..

Rust on cylinder #5 ? Not good at all ..

Got any real good pics?

IMO, lick your wounds and repower- with a simple Cummins 6BT 220’s done right, and then enjoy long term , safe and reliable wine & cheese cruising speeds in the 7-10Kts range.. .. – I do not believe you will ever sort this out if you want a reliable boat that you can enjoy and feel safe..

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.