Nigel Kittow
Participant
Vessel Name: Mamma Mia
Engines: 1996 6BT 210hp

More details

Thanks Rob. I will give you some more info and get some photos when we strip it next.
Caribbean 32 are a flybridge sportfisher built in Australia. They are the same design as a Bertram 31 and were being built under the Bertram label under licence. When Bertram went out of smaller boats, International Marine continued to build them but under the Caribbean label. So it is common production boat. I am making enquiries at the moment to try and establish if they have any exhaust design issues. The twin Cummins 210 is their standard engine configuration.
I have owned the boat for coming up 5years and about 1200 hours. First 18 months were in New Zealand then 3 1/2 years in Vanuatu. In Vanuatu she is used as a private game fishing boat with most trips being 10 mins around 1000rpm til warm, 30 mins at 2000 rpm, 6 hours at 1250RPM, a run home and 5 minute idle to cool. She lives in a flat calm marina.We do around 250-300 hours per year.
I am trying to find if the previous owner had any issues.
History
April 2016 the stb engine was progressivly producing more black smoke. It then suddenly poured out black smoke. Pulled the turbo and had a hole burnt through the heat shield, This turbo could have been 5000hours old though. Replaced with a cheap core assembly off email. Still smoked. The exhaust turbine housing was showing some corrosion and the space between the turbine and housing was bigger than thought ideal. Replaced the turbine housing. Ran fine for a round 6 months 75 hours. The first time runfter it had not been used for a month had black smoke pouring out under load. The turbine was jammed. Mechanic felt to much side to side play in the shaft.
Put the problem down to cheap part off ebay and replaced the core assembly with expensive genuine Holset part. As the mechanic was fitting it and tightening the clamp I do recall it jamming and he had to wriggle and re seat it to a position where it ran free.
Ran fine for 6 months again and then after not being used for a month was jammed again. Freed the turbine by hand and it ran fine for 2 months until not being used again for 3 weeks and again it was jammed. Freed it up by hand again and runs fine, no smoke and pulls revs.
We did check the oil feed when we replaced the core which seemed fine but did not prime the bearings.
I am awaiting arrival of a rebuild kit and new oil feed line. When we strip it down I will get plenty of photos and get back in touch.
Appreciate your advice