chuck young
Participant
Vessel Name: Stsomewhere
Engines: 480 CEs

Please excuse me if I’m asking in the wrong thread. I’ve just gone into contract, pending survey and sea trial on a 2005 390 Searay MY. Engines are the 480CEs. Only 335 hours on them. I know that sounds like it could be an issue itself. However, I do know that the boat ran strong late last season on a 200+ mile run. I’m also aware of the good info posted by Tony and crew re prop/rpm/boost and fuel burn. According to info posted on line from SEARAY sea trials for this model/power, the fuel burn/RPM is nearly exact to that of the 450 diamond. The turbo and tubes are not brown but are quite tan. The aftercoolers have a lighter tan on the hot side. Local diesel guy said color is normal, not excessive. There is no real history available for this boat except for the last two years. I don’t know if the aftercoolers have ever been serviced. There is no exterior evidence of deterioration at the cap joints. I intend to service the aftercoolers right after closing. My question is this… If at sea trial, clean bottom and gear, and I get the numbers of the 450 curve, and good temps, Am I safe to assume I’m not headed for a valve drop?

1 user thanked author for this post.