chuck young
Participant
Vessel Name: Stsomewhere
Engines: 480 CEs

480 CE

Thanks for the reply Phil. I’ve been fighting salt for over 40 years. Living on a Barnegat Bay lagoon. Have only been running diesel for the past five years though. Before that, a litney of gassers. Always have been proactive with maintenance, especially on the raw side. Regarding the subject boat, I’ve allowed in my offer enough for doing what I need to do. However, the 480 CEs appetite for valves only came known to me through sbmar. I’m amazed that Cummins didn’t, to my knowledge, do a recall on these engines and further why Searay and others didn’t origially prop to begin with or recall vessels sold and prop accordingly. Shame on them! According to Boat Test.com publication the exact model and boat, 2005 390 Searay MY with 480 CEs, their seatrial burn at 22K is 13.7 gpm each. They only showed as high as 2680 though, at 22.7 gph each. Not sure why not 2700+, maybe it didnt turn that high.We shall see at sea trial. If my prospective boat proped correctly. I plan to go through with the purchase if so. If not…. I’m just not sure. I don’t have enough cushion for heads, but may consider negociating down.Wish I had a crystal ball. I’m really thankfull having this forum.