Fireisland1
Participant
Vessel Name: Riverwind
Engines: cummins QSB 380

Tony, I did the math by first timing how fast my 6 turn helm took for full swing. That was about 8 seconds without bypassing. I then measured my cylinder and started a pump search. 1.2 cu/in gear pump was too slow. 3.5 would do the trick but might have been too fast. Octopus 1.2 L/min seemed about right and it is adjustable down to .6 L/min. On full output that got me to 7 sec. full swing. That worked out great for docking especially since I do not have a stern thruster. I often will go hard over a few times when lining up for a stern berth. The 7 sec. swing was just to sensitive for jogging boats and pots while underway, so I slowed down the flow . I had to compromise a bit. Luckily the Octopus pump allowed me to do this. Video was of full output before seatrial. The pump is mounted under the swing out helm. You canā€™t hear it over the main at cruise. Docking you can hear it go into bypass at the stops. Max pressure is 500 psi. So nothing can get hurt. Over the winter I will be adding auto 0 deg. Iā€™m building the logic box now but it is not 100% reliable yet.