• Creator
    Topic

Rossi schell
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Schellcracker
    Engines: Single 5.9 - exact engine unknown!

Hey good afternoon,

Was out fishing today setting out baits. Heard a pop and discovered the output flange on the gear side has failed.

Wanting to see if anyone has ever come across this certain issue and why it May have happened and what My next move is!? Thank you

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

Youā€™re correct, unless the stringers are moving, the strut is the next most likely candidate for the misalignment, although there may be a bearing in the stern tube as well. Anyway, time to set it all straight.
    Tony has some good articles in the ā€œTipsā€ section on this website, a good read even if you already know how to set it up.
    I like hard mounting the motor, as long as everythingā€™s rock solid, you can align to 0, and expect it to stay that way throughout shifting and acceleration loads.

Rossi schell
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Schellcracker
    Engines: Single 5.9 - exact engine unknown!

Hey Tony and Donald,

Been fishing so just getting back to answering.

Have the new parts but with everything unattached there is serious resistance spinning the shaft by hand. You actually canā€™t. You have to use both hands on the wheel and really load up to get it to move. I am leaning toward the strut.
    Shaft and wheel are getting checked tomorrow and after that I will have a better idea.

Yes this boat has sat with water in it for years mr Tony. I am working through everything. I was told 1500 on the gear and know I have done 390 on the boat

I am going to pull the gear because it needs a flex coupler. Low idle chatter. Then check my mounts. Engine is hard Mounted. Once I get strut, shaft, and wheel back. I will put everything together with the new couplers at last. Align engine best I can since it is hard mounted and hope she feels better! After summer I was gonna break into converting to isolated mounts and a pilot house before winter.

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

Those couplings are incredibly tough pieces of metal.
    There was obviously a lot of force being exerted on the flange from somewhere, you need to find out where that force was coming from before spending money on repairing it.
    When was the shaft coupling alignment last done?
    Is the rest of the drivetrain all kosher? (Strut, bearings, prop fitting)
    Are the motor mounts correctly installed and in good condition?
    Could you have picked up a piece of rope in the propeller?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

ZF220A Output coupling failure

How about this for the reason:

Rust , corrosion and living in salt water for 20++ years with ZERO care?

You do not really think the gear was designed to “”live forever” in conditions like this, do you?

For 90% sure, it will not be “cost effective” to fix “right” unless you get lucky and are a very “hands-on” guy with a lot of motivation..

Plus, what is going on behind the gear all the way to the prop?

ZF 220A or ZF 220V Coupling Removal & Seal Replacement

BTW, the pics in this link were on my bro’s vessel with over 3000 hrs on the gear with the seal started leaking for no apparent reason.. I remember the job well as I told him to live with a few drops of oil a trip–He would not….We boxed a bit about this…………………Curious——How may hours on the gear in your pics?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.