• Creator
    Topic

jrs8818
    Participant

Good Morning

Just about finished rebuilding one of my ZF 220A gears that are behind my 6BTAs. I believe it was cooler failure that led to oil loss while underpower

Anyhow. Assured all measurements were as required in the manual but with the case on and no oil i am not sure i like how much work it is to spin the input shaft (shaft that goes into dampner). I know theres no oil in it yet but the output shaft is much easier to spin. Wondering if i should make a slight adjustment with the race of the input shaft before i consider myself done? Looked in the manual snd i dont see a spec for torque required to turn the input shaft. Anyone have this info?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

jrs8818
    Participant

The color of the clip/gasket shaped item im not sure what to do with ( dropped on the floor while taking the pump apart from the tranny) is red not yellow. Kinda messed it up trying to figure out where it goes

jrs8818
    Participant

Tony and Rob

Thanks for responding on holiday! Hope youre taking a good break from work. Ill get a photo but its the inside of the pump where the gears are. There is an odd shaped gasket/oring around the gears and a flexible non rubber type material in the shape of the rubber gasket that im not really sure if just laid over the black rubber oring around the gears

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Without a pic, I have no clue.

Pressure is easy– Anyplace on the oil cooler circuit that is easy to tap into

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

If the coolers are of the same history it would be most prudent to replace them both … high quality Sendures are available here. My alarm article includes gear pressure monitoring and my Sendure coolers.
    https://www.sbmar.com/articles/redundant-alarms-least-expensive-engine-insurance/

jrs8818
    Participant

I did replace the two bearings on the forward driveshaft out of caution. Had more play than I like to see. I guess that explains this and it will breakin and get better

The pump has a yellow clip like retainer in it shaped like one if the orings. Can you tell me what thats for? I accidentally had it fall out when i loosened all 4 bolts instead of just the two

Also. Do you sell an option to allow monitoring of the pressure and temp of the gears either in conjunction with the VDO guages or separate? I dont trust my coolers now after this (replaced failed one).

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

New gears have quite a bit of preload on the shaft bearings.. One hand is usually not easy it that is a gauge of anything. Oil has nothing to do with it.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.