• Creator
    Topic

Thomas
    Participant

I have had the SMX raw water pumps installed on my 6bta -370 for about 5-6 years now. At what point should I think about replacing the cam, seal and bearings? I have replaced the impeller once and will do it again this year. Although last time after 2.5 years they still looked like new.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

..Do you carry a spare SMX pump onboard with you?

No, I don’t, just 2 spare impellers/o-rings and a puller

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Tony, smx water pump purchased mid June 16 .failed July 4 16 .approximately 40 hours. Was sent back and told it was a shaft failure.would have liked to take pump apart and see what happened but was told to send it back.engine 480 ce.i have heard that term often but couldn’t picture what happened in pump.just curious.Bill

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Your post leaves much to be desired…..Kinda like me asking you Ā  “How long is a string?”

1) What EXACT pump

2) Complete history from Day 1

Tony

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Pump failure

just curious.since I have had a shaft failure on a water pump what happens when a shaft breaks.does it develop a crack and then split.how often is this the reason a water pump fails.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

As much I tried to do my best when we designed our pumps. “Marine Age” is a factor in anything that has salt water going thru it, even in a Nuclear Sub where material selection and cost is not a factor.

Titanium as a base foundation metal, Ā mixed with a tad of Krytonite, a little Ā Seaboardium for shits & grins, Ā and some sprinkles of “Unobtainium” Ā would have been my choice, but it was out on my price range.

Your call on what “pro-active” means to you.. Ā If you parked in fresh water, ask again in 5 more years.

Tony

Thomas
    Participant

I have approx 750 hrs on the pump with no issues. Just want to be proactive in maintenance and not have a surprise leak while in the Bahamas. Do you carry a spare SMX pump onboard with you?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Marine age is a factor for all but engine hours apply here too. Ā How many hours on the pumps?

Interesting timing on your inquiry —- I am running the SMX pumps as well and mine now have 10 seasons and ~1,000hrs on them with nothing but a few impeller changes. Ā She’ll be getting hauled real soon and I’ll be pulling the pumps for a full “check-up”.

Maybe Tony or Corey can chime in with some history on what they’ve been seeing in the field…

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.