• Creator
    Topic

Michael Deschamps
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Wicked Nauti
    Engines: Cummins QSB 420

Hi Everyone…Boat is a 2009 Meridian 391 with Cummins QSB 420 diesels. I have had issue with the smart craft display and bogus alarm that said something about paddle speed. The RPMs on the gauge would be sporadic sometimes. The problem I am now having is the Port side of the smart craft gauge and analog tach will go to zero as well as message that says “Lost engine Comm” and all the other items like volts, engine temp, oil pressure will also go blank. If I unplug the smart craft display from the back the analog and digital gauges will work perfectly while idling. This also happens with the DTS the red neutral lights will go on and off but if I unplug the smart craft gauge the lights stay burning red. I have undone as many connections as I can find and used CRC cleaner on them but that hasn’t helped. My question is does the smart craft digital, analong gauges and DTS all work in Harmony? Does the signal come from engines to smart craft and then controls from there? I have tried to call Cummins and Mercury and can’t get information anywhere. Any ideas or suggestions?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Thank you for the information. I donā€™t believe I have that harness that you speak of. I bought the boat in 2016 I will have to look and see if itā€™s there. I will also check that connection on the engine I didnā€™t know that existed either I am learning as I go. Is there a way to ditch all this Mercury hardware for a different type?

Thanks,

If you’re interested in converting to a more simple and reliable system, we do have options… send me a note at [email protected]

Michael Deschamps
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Wicked Nauti
    Engines: Cummins QSB 420

Thank you for the information. I don’t believe I have that harness that you speak of. I bought the boat in 2016 I will have to look and see if it’s there. I will also check that connection on the engine I didn’t know that existed either I am learning as I go. Is there a way to ditch all this Mercury hardware for a different type?
    Thanks,

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

There appears to be a few issues going on here but the main issue is the LOST COM issue.

#1 — Do you have the Cummins CAN adapter harness installed? This piece is critical becuase it solves a CAN bus conflict for v1.0 engines with the SmartCraft systems, this MUST be installed:

Cummins Mercury SmartCraft VesselView Adapter Harness

#2 — The SIM module on the side of the engine takes the ECM data and converts it to SmartCraft, check the physical connections to this module and clean everything well.

QSB 5.9 SmartCraft ECM, Electronic Components, and Wiring Harnesses

#3 — Once you have data back, go to the settings menu and reset the SENSOR calibrations

Cummins SmartCraft VesselView 1.5 Digital Display Manual

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Mercury SC & DTS glitches

I’ll have Corey ( our Mercury Smartcrap in-house guru) read this, but on the surface, you are not in “goods hands” any more, as factory support is nada at best………….Plus, the Smatcraft system can be very glitchy to begin with, and than add DTS, another MERCURY Outboard motor motor system ( not Cummins) they tried to adapt to the Cummins engine, and you have a double whammy…NOT a good feeling at all……………………………………….In the mean time, I’d pull every connector/plug, spray with WD-40 on both sides of the plug/connector and re-plug firmly and be pushing on all the wires where they enter into the plug…When apart–Use you eyes to look for something that should not be there–any type of corrosion.. Cummins tries to use a white di-electric grease in some places but do not really do a good job with it as it only needs to make it thru warranty then then it on you………………. Kinda sad when you think about it..

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.