• Creator
    Topic

Hiroki Toma
    Participant
    Vessel Name: TAZ
    Engines: Yanmar 4LHA

Hi Captains
    I am looking at a boat with twin QSB 5.9, 380hp boat with 5100 hours on them. Boat is 2005 and records show that 90% is trolling speed. I think they overhauled the turbos once. If the boat performs good reaching its rpm specification with no smoke and good reading on all gauges should I worry about the hours? I am planing to get the engine survey if everything goes right, but I figure to get some opinions here. thanks.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

During negotiation, owner changed his mind about selling the boat. oh well.

Well that’s when you know without any doubt that it was a very good boat!

Hiroki Toma
    Participant

Hiroki,

Check out this thread that I started a little while back. Are you looking at a Tiara 3600 Open? Check out the back and forth I had with the forum. If it is not the same boat then maybe this thread is of value to you. I ultimately passed on the boat for non-technical reasons but it was an informative discussion just the same.

https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/qsb-5-9-380s-with-5100-hours/

Steve
    From reading your post, it is the same boat. I went down to Marathon Fl. to see the boat. The boat was spotless, engine room was very clean and the mechanic/engineer told me everything he has done on the boat. They lowered the boat into the water, both engines started right up, no smoke and both engines purred like a kitten. During negotiation, owner changed his mind about selling the boat. oh well.

Hiroki Toma
    Participant

Thanks

Hey Gents
    Thanks for the replies. During negotiation, the owner has changed his mind to sell the boat.
    I am on to the next boat which has 700hrs on a 2007 QSB 5.9 355hs engines. I am having the boat survey and have the engines and generator inspected by a Cummins Sales and Service technician. Thanks gents.

Scott Lambert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Old Man River
    Engines: Cummins QSB 5.9

Total fuel used

Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn’t the ECM record total fuel used? This will tell you how hard the engines have been used overall

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Looks familiar…….

Hiroki,

Check out this thread that I started a little while back. Are you looking at a Tiara 3600 Open? Check out the back and forth I had with the forum. If it is not the same boat then maybe this thread is of value to you. I ultimately passed on the boat for non-technical reasons but it was an informative discussion just the same.

https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/qsb-5-9-380s-with-5100-hours/

john
    Participant

I work on a boat with those same engines. The ones I work on have about 8k hours and it runs like a Top. I would post the pictures and give sea trial results. What is involved with the engine survey? To me if you have the service records, that and a seatrial will tell you the most

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

records show that 90% is trolling speed

What exact records are you referring to and what other records are available? Maintenance? A chart of GPH vs RPM would be quite useful. Do you have the serial numbers to post?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

For me to comment with some substance, I want to see really good pictures of the engines, as installed in the vessel, from all angles and perspectives……….

Picture this–I am on the boat doing a survey.. Put my eyes there and if you do it right, I will tell you by far more than your survey dollars will tell you.. And, that’s for FREE..

Tony

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.