• This topic has 17 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Bill.
  • Creator
    Topic

Bill
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA (2001)

I bought two new SMX pumps in late 2014 and installed them on my 450 Diamonds. The hard to get to port pump has started leaking. Pictures of good starboard pump and suspect port pump. Notice port pump has green all around water weep holes to drain water when water seal fails. Starboard pump is pristine there. I plugged bottom most weep hole with dry paper towel and ran engine for five minutes. When I pulled out the towel the inside of it was wet, conforming the leak.

What Should I do? $750 new pump or $300 rebuild kit or $60 new water seal?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill
    Participant

Humpty Dumpty is back together. First picture is the cleaned out housing ready for the new seal. Second picture is the new main seal installed. That went in easy pushing with gloved fingertips. Final picture is with the shaft seal and cap locked in place with the retaining clip. To push the clip in place I used a piece of 1ā€ pvc pipe. It was the right inside diameter to push the clip down until it snapped into its shaft groove.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Richard Dodson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SWAY
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 480

Replace it and keep it as a short term spare

Bill
    Participant

I got the main water seal it. Kinda yucky looking. I used tat little hook took I found in my toolkit. Now to clean it real good an push in the new ones. Brandon said to lube it with assembly grease and to wear gloves. He said no hand oils should get on the seal.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Itā€™s a fun learning project for me, Tony. I ordered a replacement pump from you yesterday and Iā€™ll turn this one into a spare since I donā€™t have one.

Wrong Tony.
    Bill, thanks for keeping this thread going with your progress. Not sure if you’ve see this diagram.

Bill
    Participant

Itā€™s a fun learning project for me, Tony. I ordered a replacement pump from you yesterday and Iā€™ll turn this one into a spare since I donā€™t have one.

Tony
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA-8.3-M2 420hp

Thanks for the posts Bill – interesting to see how it all works

Cheers

Tony

Bill
    Participant

Ok. I pried up the upper shaft seal. Itā€™s pretty easy to do. Remove the elbows so you can stick a flathead screwdriver through the bottom of the grid and just leverage it up. As you can see the underside of this seal is pretty torn up. Only step left is to pull out the main housing seal.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

It won’t be long until that used impeller looks like this. You should carefully inspect and likely replace the cam along with the impeller.

David Pantiliano
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Headstrong
    Engines: QSB 5.9 380s

Replace the impeller

No question replace the impeller

Bill
    Participant

Definitely a leaky seal. I filled it with water and watched it run out on the other side of the seal.

Bill
    Participant

While I have the attention of, well apparently no one, what would you all do with this SMX impeller that was in the pump? Itā€™s Perfectly good everywhere except for that little tear. It has 2 years and 350 hours on it. Iā€™m considering snipping off that piece do it wonā€™t break off, and then putting it back in the pump. Is that a bad idea?

Bill
    Participant

Well that was easy once I looked at the new ring and found it was coiled. So the ring, the cap and the spring at out. Now I am down to the seals. This is the point where Brandon said call him back when I get this far. So I guess Iā€™ll call him Monday.

Bill
    Participant

Ok. I am making progress. Thanks to Brandon at Seaboard I have the general instructions. I have the wear plate and cam out. Now I have to remove the small retaining ring at the bottom of the splines shaft. Itā€™s sitting on the top of the actual seal assembly. If anyone has tricks and tool recommendations to get under it to bend it and break it apart to get it out, Iā€™ll be glad to listen.

Bill
    Participant

My port seawater leak is definitely the SMX water pump. Itā€™s gotten pretty bad now over time. Kinda disappointing I only got 5 years and 1000 hours out of it. But there is always at least one lemon of everything out there.

I bought the new water seal from sbmar. I have never done this before. Can someone give me pointers on how to get the pump apart, replace the seal, and back together again.

Bill
    Participant

Thanks Tony. It’s on the outside of the engine so I have to remove it to do that work. Since I don’t want to remove it twice I’ll probably go ahead and buy the new water seal and just replace that when I do the two o rings on the pipe.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Why not try this:

Remove both elbows on the worse one–Replace both o-rings with lots of grease on both flanges after all is cleaned..

Take a small SS wire brush and wire brush using WD-40 on all of the “patina green” areas on the rest of the pump.. Coat all with any type of oil and WWM ..

If you “see” the pump actually dripping water after you do this, it may need a new seal .. Either way, just keep an eye on it.. Nothing will fail, it’s just a salt water drip.. It has been 6 yrs…. Curious, ever removed your impeller on that side in that 2-3 years? I have seen some seal clips break which can cause this..

How about some good pics of the rest of your engines?

Bill
    Participant

Here are pictures.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.