• Creator
    Topic

info5
    Participant

Mechanic states that once pitting has occurred inside exhaust elbow they are no good.  Can allow seawater to run back into turbo.  Has quoted me a price of $1700.00 each to rebuild old exhaust elbows.  SBMar has the elbows for around 1650.00 new.  Are the SBMar’s elbows a lower grade of stainless than if I were to rebuild?  Are the SBMar’s made in China?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

info5,  the first two articles on this Exhaust page cover it all..

http://www.sbmar.com/category/articles/exhaust-systems/

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

$1,700 to “rebuild” old elbows.  What exactly does that entail.  Are you sure he meant rebuild and not replace?

How about posting some pictures of what you have and include some pictures of the elbows as installed on the engines including the exhaust system setup.  Are your current elbows angled down at least 15 degrees (more is better) as per Cummins install specs?  Worst cast would be if they are upright and do not drain when you shut down?  Those are nicknamed “doomed to fail”.  Do you know your spillover height when the boat is loaded?

I am sorry to answer questions with questions but do not want to see you spend good money for bad.  At $1,700 you’re already at a good chunk of what a custom riser can be had for.  The $1,650 elbows listed by Seaboard should be genuine Cummins.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.