• Creator
    Topic

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

Hi Guys

As a few of you are aware I was chasing a power / revs issue on the Port motor (6BTA) it turned out the turbo was significantly marine aged.. and I thought I would share some photos to see what damage had occured and also the fact it was still ‘operating’ was pretty impressive.

Steve

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Stephen Oliver
    Participant

OK I grabbed some pictures – they are not great and mainly of the port side which is disassembled.

Ignore all the wiring hanging etc – its a work in progress and i’m stripping a lot out.

The exhaust loop sits about 24 inches at least above the waterline and I think is excessive as the main run to the rear has about a 6-8 inch drop over its length and being side exhaust is unlikely to have much run up it..

The mufflers are badly designed you can see the waterline in the input pipe which doesnt sit hugely below the turbo.. if you see the output pipe has been cut high – causing the high waterline – but I suspect that the output tube has been cut that high so that the water level is sufficient to blow through the pipes due to the volume of the upward and loop section. reduce that in size and the output pipe could sit lower (I think)

Each muffler is different.. due to the proximity of the exhaust.

There is a fall – but with the water level of the mufflers being where it is.. it doesnt help much.

The boat waterline is around the bottom of the input pipe, so self draining mufflers would only gain me an inch of water level or so in calm waters.

I’ll be starting a post about my options shortly asking for advice on which way to go.

Stephen Oliver
    Participant

Hi Rob

Unfortunately I dont have any decent pics of the exhaust – suffice to say its a combination of badly designed muffler / exhaust and the standard cummins risers. Buy hey at least I have some fall on the risers!

To tie things up my other posts were

Turbo – Rebuildable?

Target Revs for 330 Diamond 6BTA

Waterlift Muffler – Drain

And closest thing I have to pictures is attached but you cannot see the muffler – but basically the mufflers outlet pipe sits at around the same level as the inlet.. and although it works – it leaves the water level quite high so if the boat pitches forward and backwards I can imagine the turbo will get a bit damp.. and as the boat was kept by its previous owner facing river traffic – it happened a lot. My short term plan is to add a muffler drain on each into a thru hull so stationary the muffler level will drop to the waterline which gives good muffler water level to turbo clearance (still cannot find out if anyone has done this). Longer term – custom risers and new mufflers.

Steve

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Did we see pics of your exhaust setup? Can you post them here so this thread is complete as to “Cause and Effect” …. thanks

Stephen Oliver
    Participant

Also to add its worth noting the internals have been scraped, blasted etc to see how much metal was still around, so it didnt look quite this bad when removed – as all the scale was covered in soot!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.