Paul
Participant
Vessel Name: Changes in L'Attitudes
Engines: Twin Cummins 330HP 6BTA 5.9-M-3

Looks exactly like the oil pressure sensor

I have a 1999 6BTA 5.9 M3 330HP – probably same engine as you do … First picture the three-way combo fuel/oil block on my starboard engine (inboard side) showing the oil pressure sensor on the left and the single wire/case ground sender for the oil pressure gauge on the right.

Second picture is the three-way combo block from one of Tony’s tips article. Third picture is another steal from one of Tony’s tips … the wiring diagram showing how the key being ‘on’ kept current going to your sensor while you were away (Note, the oil gauge sender is dual pole in this diagram, not single pole, case ground like ours)

Looks to me like you blew the oil pressure sensor which I believe was ‘seeing’ current when the key was left ‘on’. Strange there was no alarm sounding to remind you the key was in the ‘on’ position. I know when I first turn the key to ‘on’ I get the alarm and power to the gauges. Once I know those I working I proceed to ‘run’ to start the engine.

Might be worth checking all the other items that saw current overnight. I once blew the starter, air heaters, and fuel solenoid when an ignition got hung up when I was trying to restart an engine earlier this year.