• Creator
    Topic

Nick Wootton
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Banksea
    Engines: QSB 5.9

HELP!!

Been having lots of work done on the boat pre -season – weather glorious – first time this year (its the UK)

Engines serviced 3 weeks back – have returned to the boat inserted keys and got Smartcraft DTS throttles ‘flashing neutral’ so naturally CCM Autopilot unavailable and Joystick unavailable –Ā 

No clue where to start unless maybe a GPS issue ? – wife thinks going away for long weekend – help required urgently!!

CMD QSB 5.9 x 2 485hp

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Nick Wootton
    Participant

Story so far…

In a Galaxy far far away…..

So 10 pin harness back of VV1.5 has a dead live – found this out by switching screens – works fine lower helm – $3,000 saved.

purple wake wire 12vĀ 

trace back to 10 pin harness plug into J box upper helm – dead live – now need to find the fault on the live between the plug into the J box and all the way back to the VIP in engine room via lower helmĀ 

Could not have got this far without SBMAR / Barrus UK and also the Mercury Zeus pod FB page so thank you all – will report back if / when solved.

I have full wiring architecture diagram for DTS twin Cummins QSB D C M smartcraft VV if anyone needs or would like me to uploadĀ  and single helm

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Send me an email and I will send it to you.

[email protected]

Nick Wootton
    Participant

Vv 1.5 software file

Anyone have a link to a compatible software download to micro USB to load configuration into my VV 1.5 please?

Nick Wootton
    Participant

No joy yet

Morning Ā  So popped all breakers, pulled back of VV harness – no obvious corrosion visible, in fact all clean -just seems super odd to go from working fine one day to engine service and then re start and dead,,,Mercury tech inbound but quite a wait…hoping Cummins engineer can attend sooner with correct software – will be back!

Have been told to look for a fuse rear of VV – would anyone know what this would look like – also potentially a related fuse bulk head engine bay near engine control units?

Not sure what a standalone fuse would look like or have any imagination really..

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Hot Mess
    Engines: 4bt

I’ve had the same issue on a customers pontoon boat with a control not working. I have not been mercury/ mercruiser dealer in about 16-17 years, but one of my clients purchased a used pontoon with this smart craft system in it. This was an I/O pontoon with a 6.0, and a bravo counter rotating outdrive.

Anyway, I told my client I would have a look at it, but I don’t have mercruisers smart craft software, or any knowledge of this system. I called a local dealer that did have the necessary tools for this, and the dealer said he is almost positive without looking at it, that the speedometer failed. I was floored that the speedometer caused the control to fail.

All this stuff is networked in together, and what we call “fly by wire”. If one thing in the network fails, it causes other components to not work. This is a booger to deal with, and a spaghetti mess of wires. I would love to see what you learn on this myself. I hope it doesn’t get too expensive for you. I would recommend a seasoned tech that understands the network, and has the resources to tap into the network

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Even to us, Mercury DTS is 100% Chinese to sort outĀ  We already know,Ā  without any doubt,Ā  Mercury “SmartCrap” inĀ  general is close to impossible , now add DTS to the equation and we just walk away — just has Cummins has basically done.Ā  ZERO SUPPORT.Ā  Should you get lucky and sort it out, please post what you learn so we all can learn too.. With not less that 50 various connections in the overall maze of wiring, I’d start with ever connection by taking every plug apart, spray the plug with a petroleum based di-electric like WD-40 the the re-plug firmly–Look for anything green or white from past water intrusion drips or spray. Maybe a current Mercury Outboard MotorĀ  TechĀ  knows the system ( that is where the roots of the system is used . Ā  Tony Ā  If you want the very complex wiring diagrams / architecture, drop me a private note.Ā  Ā  File size too large

Nick Wootton
    Participant

Thanks

Thank you. Looks like Vv 1.5 knackered. Is there a direct plug and play replacement without having to re harness etc?

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

I would check ALL electronic connections involved in this system.Ā  I have similar issues on different electronics and engines but the common issue was the lack of attention by the people that did the work on reconnecting everything in such a way that ALL connectors and contacts made positive connections.

As I read your symptoms I think there are loose connections somewhere.Ā  I would go back through and disconnect and reseat ALL connector blocks.Ā  I would bet that you will find one or more connector blocks that were loose or did not make a solid/good connection.

My guy that did the upgrade to our electronics did not reconnect the 2 block connectors on the back of my Smartcrap display.Ā  Engines would start but NONE of the displays or gauges worked.Ā  2 connector blocks behind the dash panel and some choice words/naughty language later I was up and running again.Ā 

Same guy came back to the boat 3 times for the same reason.Ā  NOT PLUGGING THINGS IN!!Ā  In the scheme of things it is a small issue but those are the things that drive me NUTS.

I hope that it is this simple of an issue.Ā  Good Luck

Nick Wootton
    Participant

Further investigation

Upper helm vessel view dead _ I assume if this is the unit that gets the GPS data it won’t send it to the lower helm via the network hence precision pilot dead and DTS throttles confused. Is this something I can fix / replace?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.