• Creator
    Topic

Charles A. Beever III
    Participant
    Vessel Name: tbd
    Engines: 1@ 6bta 250hp jwac

Good morning.

I found out last week that I have very, very dirty fuel due to water ingress into tanks. That problem was related to fuel fill hose setup and plumbing, and I am told water got into tank but ingress problem is now solved.

Couple questions for the braintrust:

Can I rig up sequentially smaller filters and continually pump my tank through a 12V “farm type” diesel pump, with the filtered diesel continually returning to the tank filler, thereby turning my tank over and over until it gets clean? Removing these tanks is to be avoided if at all possible. If this is okay to do, I would plan on removing my tank access hatch and sending units/pickup tubes and making my own tube that picks up at the bottom and runs to the suction side filter bank and then to farm pump. Essentially it would just circulate like an aquarium.

Second, now is the perfect time to SEABOARD WAY my filtration system. Which leads to my next question.

The setup:

236 Mako
    2@ 40 gallon foamed in fuel tanks
    Early 250hp 6bta (JWAC)
    Primary 2010 Racor/Parker
    Last Chance: FF5018 (which I already purchased a FS1251 for)

After breaking down while underway and having to dismantle the Racor twice to unclog the milled passageway between inlet barb and vortex/check valve thingy, I am certainly not a fan of the Racor. It is not an elegant solution to dismantle at sea, that is for sure.

After reading Tony’s long-ish article on fuel, my takeaway was the following sequence would not only work but be very good for my engine:

FF5013 Primary 20/10
    FS1000 Separator 10/5 (drag type vacuum gauge mounted on head)
    FS1251 last chance 20/10

Am I correct on this? If so I want to order the filters, heads, vacuum gauge, and fittings today!

Lastly, what diameter fuel lines are suggested for a relatively low hp 6bta like mine?

Many thanks to any who have time to reply. Just need quick approval if I am on the right track.

Charles

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charles A. Beever III
    Participant
    Vessel Name: tbd
    Engines: 1@ 6bta 250hp jwac

I will give it a go then. Boat lives on a trailer so I will monitor how much crud I get out to establish progress. Might even be able to shine a light down there into tank. Thanks for feedback.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Never hurts to rig up some type of fuel circulater and filter to clean fuel. But, with the boat sitting at the dock, don’y expect much to get sucked up..You can use your Racor w/ a 30 Mic for that.

Upgraded fuel system–Works for me..

I always prefer 1/2″ ID to the filters, but 3/8″ would be OK — for sure 3/8″ ID after them on your engine.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.