• Creator
    Topic

tuan lam
    Participant

Hello, I have a qsb 5.9 480hp motor that I want to pair with a zf 220a gearbox.

Which torsional coupling would you recommend? This is for a commercial crab boat.

I see one manufactured by Vulkan and a couple by centa, which would be better suited for my needs?

Thanks

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

tuan lam
    Participant

Thanks, Tony,

The CF-R and CF-DS are both Centa brands, I crossed out the Vulkan for my uses because in the description it states that it is recommended for pleasure crafts with not more than 500 operating hours per year.

this will be going on a commercial crabbing boat and I was deciding if I should go with the Centa CF-R which states it is for heavy duty or the Centa CF-DS for high degree of idling.

I have ordered the Centa CF-DS and am now thinking i should have gone with the heavy duty CF-R, I just wasn’t sure what is classified as heavy-duty and how it would affect me.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The Centa CFR and Centa CF-DS are competing designs within the entire realm of what I refer to as “Monkey Motion” torsional Couplings………Vulkan & Centa, are both German based companies that seem to have close to a 100% major grip on this part of the market, and both have a variety of torsional coupling designs. All of them have the good, the bad, and the ugly as to actual field service and how long the last..

Understand, there is no “better”…..What that means is, I do not go there as all seem to work but all can and do fail………………..

I have attached the Centa catalog–You make the call..

Tony

P.S. The is a torsional type coupling that never fails.. It’s generically called a RBD “Rubber Block Drive”.. The problem with it is simple–On paper, based on current current torsional engineering thinking, that design does not meet many torsional analysis requirements so it it not specified much these days..Notice I said “on paper”..

tuan lam
    Participant

thanks for the response,

are there any real difference in the centa cf-r and cf-ds?

i just ordered the cf-ds and am wondering if i chose the right one over the cf-r for my application

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Both couplings are spec’d well for that engine/gear combination… it’s really a personal choice as to which coupling you think will work better for your application.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.