• Creator
    Topic

Matt Vasey
    Participant

I have twin 6BTA’s in my 2001 Grand Banks.  The engne plate has conflicting information on it – 

• Engine is identified as a 6BTA 220
    • CPL# is 2891 which is usually a 210

How can I tell so I can use the right performance and fuel curves?   Thanks!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Clark Leighs
    Participant

That uprating from 210 to 220  HP is a paper change, not an actual engine change. The 220 is METRIC HP   which is a nonesense rating.  Legitimate yes under SPECIAL circumstances.

It looks better on a spec. sheet. We saw the same nonesense with cars years ago with Brake HP, SAE HP, and so on.   THey were all legitimate ratings intended for different testing purposes and different results but of course what did the sellers use, the highest rating available even though that rating  was done on a Dynamometer  with absolutely NO loads attached or some other similar highly controlled situation.

No fan, no alternator, no pwr. steering  or Air C pump , not even the coolant circulation pump which was done by an electric external pump,   air conditioned test lab,  special exhaust,  no air cleaner, and so on which of course resulted in a higher HP, in that lab,  than your car on the street could ever hope to produce.  

Sarcastic yes.   But it is marketing.   Metric HP means a slightly higher rating.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

210BHP or 220 Metric–

Do you prefer inches or millimeters?   

ZERO changes or differences that matter as to actual HP..–

Matt Vasey
    Participant

Rob, thanks for this information.  Interesting that they were able to turn up the HP by 10 on the “Diamond”, with I am guessing an additional turbo boost.  The cost was moving from the Intermittent rating to the HO rating with the same or slightly better fuel economy.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Matt, Go here and use curve number M-90761.  What you are seeing is the marketing changes when the “210 SAE” was rebranded as the “220 Diamond”

http://www.sbmar.com/cummins-marine-diesel-performance-curves/

And drop the “A” – you have a 6BT, no aftercooler.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.