• Creator
    Topic

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

How do you get a 2 1/4″ wire bound hose to fit the 58mm OD inlet for the coolant pump? I tried heat and wrestling that hose and I am contemplating going with a poly bound hose because I cannot get the wire reinforced hose to get on the inlet barb. Application is a 250hp keel cooled vessel.

D

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

The engine is CPL 953. The issue is the 58mm inlet to the engine has a barb that is just too big for the wire bound 2 1/4″ to slide pass. Ended up getting a poly bound hose that can be installed much easier. I really do wish I could have installed the wire bound hose and I hope that the poly bound non reinforced hose will be sufficient and not collapse or cause issues. The hose is 43 inches from the pump inlet leading aft to a gear cooler than 18″ forward to the keel pipe return. Very interesting to learn that your shop finds the wire bound hose “not long term”, it looks like a better install to me. That bracket for the cooler in your last picture gives me some ideas. I ended up moving the cooler back to make for better leads for the lines going to the gear and free up some room for access to the filter and that area of the engine.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Keel cooling Hose question

Send a few good pics showing where you are trying to make the connection of how you are making the conversion.

In or out from the engine ?

What exact engine?

How long is the hose? We rarely want to, or have to use wire hose–Not long term enough to us.

We keel cool these engines all the time… Doing a new 6BTA right now in the shop . We always do these per each application–all are very custom as one size never fits all.

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.