• Creator
    Topic

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

Volts sit constant around 13.2-13.7. I noticed while running at times the volts will spike in the 14-15 range then settle back to the 13.2-13.7 range. Sounds like something is cycling like a heater?  Happening on both engines at the same time while running. <br /><br />

any idea on what could be cycling or cause if the spike in voltage?

Thanks in advance. <br /><br />

mike

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Mason
    Participant

Alternator tested bad. Replaced and all good. Thanks. 

Clark Leighs
    Participant

Alternator regulators are replaceable.   SOme are relatively easy, some are bears.

My older 22SI was an easy replace as a modification. for control by an external regulator.   

My newer 24SI meant I had to saw a couple of connections which in this case was fine as I was modifying it to run from an external regulator.   It will never go back to an internal reg. as long as I own it.

You may be better served to take it to an alternator/starter shop and get them to do it  unless you are confident you are capable.   THe actual dismantle is not hard, it is what you find inside.   It looks to me like the mfgrs., Delco, are making it harder for us in their attempts to ease assembly and design.

JMO

Mike Mason
    Participant

I isolated each side today and only the starboard side surges. I’m figuring it’s the alternator voltage regulator. Is this serviceable or a full replacement. <br /><br /><br />

Thanks

Mike Mason
    Participant

Thanks Tony. I’m going to do some testing this week to see if I can pinpoint further. Keep you posted. 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

From your post, it sounds like both  engines  “talk” to each other and or run on a common battery bank ??.  Do you have a good understanding of the vessels DC POWER DISTRIBUTION SYSYEM? 

From the stand of having twin engines and “redundancy”, this goes 100% against the grain from the standpoint of safely–One major electrical issue on one engine could easily make both engines go down. 

Plus,  as to troubleshooting  your current issue?  IMO, 100% impossible — Like which engine may have a faulty alternator or ??  Add Mercury Electronics to the equation, and it just makes it even harder to sort out an issue like you are describing.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.