• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

So my owners manual says valve lash should be done at 1000hrs . I now have 1200 so I’m thinking it should be done.At 300 and 500 hours the heads were done so I’m thinking this was done at that time so should I use that as a benchmark or do it now.Engine is running great so I hate to mess with things if it’s not necessary. Already got the valve cover gaskets but is there anything else I need for the job. I was going to hire a mechanic to do it since I’ve never done it before or is this something a dyi guy could tackle. If the lash was out of limits and brought back what would it it improve.Hopefully white smoke which the only complaint I have with my engines right now..thanks Bill. Engines are 480ce

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Tony,

As always, thank you for the clarification.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

This is an IMO.. After New heads = 50 hour valve adjustment

After that if all seems good — per the Cummins book (or sooner if you like)

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Quick Clarification Question

Tony,

Sorry to budge in on this conversation but your above response to Bill made me reread one of your responses to a related question of mine about the 480CE Heads. You answered included the following:

……….. Best thing you can do for the “long term”

Do a 2nd valve adjustment at 50 hours or so after the new heads are installed

Is the valve adjust at 50 hours or 500 hours after the 480CE heads are replaced? Or is it an initial adjustment at 50 hours then every 500 hours after that? I have been reading some of the Valve Adjustment info in threads and I am a bit confused.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

If you had the heads replaced., I’d do a proper valve adjustment once over 500 hours..

As to a DYI job, that depends of you history dealing with that type of stuff..

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.