• Creator
    Topic

bsmith4911
    Participant

I have a ’69 42 Chris Craft Commander, 330 cpl 1975. Yesterday made a run, 2450 rpms for 30 min and ran her up to WOT 2950. Then “POW” and loss of power . After accessing, ran up to 1900…. black smoke. Limped home at 1500 no issues.

What to look for? Terrible access as exhaust is up and over

Byron Smith
    Boynton Inlet, Florida

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

bsmith4911
    Participant

Yes , hose came off, I just love crawling back behind my engines, actually quite comfortable one settled in. Rob, I have some pictures on my profile with the Commander Club.

bsmith4911
    Participant

I serviced the after-coolers, fluid and filter changes recently, must have missed tightening one of the hose clamps.

Thanks guys!!!

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

When was the last time your aftercooler was serviced?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You know youā€™re making good boost! Byron I would like to see some pics of that engine room if you some please post. Thanks

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

Agree 100% had this happen on ours on the seatrial. Clamp broke and blew the hose into the bottom of the aftercooler. Also had it happen several times on both of my Landrovers which are running 23+psi boost… Big bang and clouds of smoke!

Steve

Roger bing
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bingo
    Engines: 330 b series

Best case scenario is you popped a clamp or simply blew a hose on the discharge side of your turbocharger. I’ve seen this happen on multiple engines and they all showed the same symptoms. My first check would be all hoses and clamps from the turbo discharge to the intake manifold.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.