• Creator
    Topic

amgrant1979
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Knoty Buoyz
    Engines: 6BTA-370

Hi Guys,

Ive been finding pieces of brown Rubber on my Gearboxes, started on the Port but now both Have it and I feel like the port is starting to shift noisily.

I would like to see if I can find out what Torsional Coupler I have so I can order replacements.

Engine 6BTA 370 with approx 1700hrs
    Gear box Twin Disc 5050A Port serial number 5HA080 STBD 5HA079

I have space to move the gearbox back about 8 inches but it looks like the pipe for the turbo is in the way is it possible to rotate this out of the way?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Andrew

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

amgrant1979
    Participant

Thanks Tony blunt as always but Iā€™m sure you get sick of people doing what I did and asking instead of looking sorry!

Your advice is spot on as always and I removed the coupler and stage 1 is failing, the local dealer has the parts and will rebuild the couplers!

Thanks again for your advice saved me $$$ and learnt something in the process

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Learn this web site…….It’s all there. In this case, also learn how to use a wrench as I doubt a torque wrench is usable in the space you will have to work in..

Metric Bolt Torque Specifications

amgrant1979
    Participant

Ohh also what torque should I use for the coupler and also the bell housing bolts?

Regards

Andrew

amgrant1979
    Participant

Thanks Tony, Iā€™ve contacted the local supplier in Hong Kong with regard to both options, Iā€™ll wait and see if they get back to me or I may have to reach out to the USA dealer but they may not ship here with there being a dealer here already. Typical problem we have in HK is that the dealers are useless hopefully thatā€™s not the case with Centa

Regards

Andrew

Tony Athens

You have a Twin Disc MG5061 with a Centa CF-DS torsional coupling.. It has failed (see it quite often) ………………………………. Look that the pics..

Two solutions–Buy a new one from a Twin Disc distributor, or send it to Centa ( if still possible) for rebuilding.. Years back, that was the cheapest solution.

Google up “Centa CF-DS couplings”

Tony

amgrant1979
    Participant

So when I pulled the gearbox back I found a chunk chunk of rubber. I canā€™t seem to see where that has come from. Please see more photoā€™s attached. You can also see Matt the little bits that have been expelled out the vent holes that made me start wondering about the torsional coupler.

Regards

Andrew

amgrant1979
    Participant

Ok finally got out to the boat, please see photoā€™s attached, I will post a second batch of pics.

Thanks in advance for your help Tony!

Regards

Andrew

amgrant1979
    Participant

Was hoping that wasnā€™t going to be the case, it will be a couple of weeks before I get back to the boat, traveling in Canada and the USA was hoping to be able to get the coupler whilst state side. Iā€™ll post photos when I get back and pull it apart.

Regards

Andrew

Tony Athens

Until you pull the gear off the engine and take good pics of what you have and what is going on, there is nothing anyone can help you with.. You have to go thru some pain first.

Tony

amgrant1979
    Participant

Thanks for that, I suspected that was the case. Hopefully Tony chimes in here, otherwise I will email him directly.

Regards

Andrew

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes, remove the air tube going from the turbo air scroll to the aftercooler and then squeeze the clip and rotate the scroll. Let Tony recommend the best torsional coupler for that setup – if he does not pop in here send an email to [email protected]

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.