• Creator
    Topic

William Brown
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Changes In Latitudes
    Engines: Cummins QSB-5.9 380

While on a 14 day trip down the A-ICW we noticed a small diesel leak in the vicinity of the high pressure fuel pump.  It does not appear to be coming from any of the inlet/outlet fittings.   The engine is 6 years old and has 638hrs running time.   A single paper towel placed under the pump could absorb the amount of diesel leaking after an 8 hour run.     Does this type of leak eventually lead to a catastrophic engine failure?  Should the pump be replaced as this is a single engine boat?   I am attaching a few pictures showing the leak area.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

William Brown
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Changes In Latitudes
    Engines: Cummins QSB-5.9 380

Tony, thanks for your comments.   I suspect the rust is from a previously failed seawater pump I replaced several hundred hours ago.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Not really sure on the leak..There are 2 or 3 things that is possible, but for sure this is a rare occurrence.  Remember all the Dodge owners out these–same pump & if this was systemic, you’d know……… A new pump will actually be a Cummins RECON part with a core charge & extra shipping that you will incur.. Without a core, you are looking at about $1500 outright.. The core if accepted, it worth about a $450 refund to you..

It may be cheaper to get one locally because of the core return..

Do you have saltwater dripping on your engine? Why all the rust? Is your engine room damp? You might consider a 250W oil pan heater..

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.