• Creator
    Topic

Graeme Walker
    Participant
    Vessel Name: A-MA-YI
    Engines: Twin Cummins 6BTA 330hp

Last year I noticed these small pieces of ‘plastic’ under the front of the starboard engine, 1999 Cummins 6bta 5.9l 330hp. Nothing like this under the port engine.

Port – #45766133
    Starboard – #45764308

I cleaned them up and put in new absorbent pads and had new belts installed. I now see more pieces, the mechanic I use doesn’t know what they are. About to head out on an 8 week vacation and would like to know if this is critical. Any ideas?

Graeme

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Right you were confusing tensioner vs idler. Tensioner is replaced with new, not just a new shim. Itā€™s not expensive nor difficult. Idler pulley upgrade is something else worth searching on the website and forums here.

Graeme Walker
    Participant

I think I’m confusing SB updated idler pulley with the belt tensioner. Will order shortly.

Graeme Walker
    Participant

Cummins parts dept is telling me I can’t just order the shim but rather have to order the entire belt tensioner, is that correct? Do you sell just the shim? I know you have an updated tensioner but I believe my engine is of a vintage that this wasn’t a problem. I have the metal belt cover. Thanks.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

One less thing to think about when you’re traveling. Other than the belt guard removal it’s literally only one bolt.

Graeme Walker
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll request the mechanic to replace them asap so we can get on our vacation.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Anything upfront that runs or turns on the belts needs to be considered critical because if you throw that serp belt you’re in an overheat situation. IMO, way too easy of a fix to not get it done right away. But could it last hundreds more running hours? It might….. your call.

Graeme Walker
    Participant

Thanks, that sure looks like what I have. So, without being flippant, is it critical? Should I have it replaced asap or can it wait? Not entirely sure what the shim does. Thanks.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Looks to be the shim under the belt tensioner. Check out this thread where a bunch of us went full circle with this (except the originator of the post who never bothered to close it out with a reply or his outcome):

https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/cummins-6bta-330hp-plastic-pieces-under-engine/page/2/

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.