• Creator
    Topic

Rich Lichty
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Compromise
    Engines: Cummins 6BT

Cummins 6BTA Starboard gauges just started pulsating at lower RPM’s. Gauges register fine at about 1300+. Requires Parallel Start Switch to start. Will be going down to check batteries. Have had boat for about 15 years. This is a first. If not battery related, could this be an issue with a faulty ground?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rich Lichty
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Compromise
    Engines: Cummins 6BT

Thanks Tony!
    I have a mechanic coming next week. I will copy/paste your response for him. I did install an alternator on that engine 3 years ago. I noticed the negative lead to it appeared loose when I jiggled it. I think the alternator requires loosened in order to get to that terminal. While this requires tightening, I don’t think it is the issue.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

DC power issues

Had the boat 15 yrs? How old in the DC power distribution system? Any idea how it’s wired?

Bad ground? Maybe that and a dozen other connections………………………..Sounds to me that some serious checking needs to be done–That will not happen over the internet–Hands-on Elbow grease is required

All wires and connections taken apart in the main power distribution system and checked and assembled with a petroleum based dielectric like Corrosion-X and or white lithium grease.

How do you monitor “battery terminal voltage”? You might research this term

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.