• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Mark.
  • Creator
    Topic

Mark
    Participant
    Engines: 2007 330-2900 6BTA Diamond

Hi guys wat type shaft seal is this?

If it leaking under way only, can it be tweeked or is it a shaft out and change seal thing?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mark
    Participant

Thanks Rob, ill order in the new seals etc from our local rep.

Mark

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You’ll need to remove the coupler and slide the shaft out enough that you can do you’re work, whether that means complete removal of the shaft or just sliding it back for clearance only you can tell based on the room you have to work.Ā  The main thing with these lip seal setups is that the section of shaft that the seal rides on must be baby butt PERFECT.Ā  So before you start taking things apart mark the shaft so when you do get it apart you know exactly where your seal is riding.Ā  Clean and polish the shaft there and check it good.Ā  If anything is amiss you can adjust the boot length or it’s placement on the shaft log to get the seal to ride on a close but different section of shaft.Ā  It looks like you have the room to install the spare seal carrier too.Ā  Be sure to use the provided red hat install tool to protect the seal when sliding the shaft through the new seal.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

Thanks Rob, Ā  I just did some googlin on Tides seals. Now i understand what ive got and how they work. Ā  And yes your right, no spares on the shaft.Ā  Ā  Being a ZF V drive, not sure if i have to remove the shaft or just slide it out a bit?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

That’s the Tides Marine SureSeal Lip Seal.Ā  the lip seal will need changing.

I’m guessing no one bothered to install the spare seal carrier?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.